Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am employed overseas with the United Nations. Thus, I do not receive a W-2. Rather, I receive a "Certificate of Earnings" from my UN employer. Do I proceed in entering my Wages and Income as if I have a W-2? Can I still e-file without a W-2?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

I am employed overseas with the United Nations. Thus, I do not receive a W-2. Rather, I receive a "Certificate of Earnings" from my UN employer. Do I proceed in entering my Wages and Income as if I have a W-2? Can I still e-file without a W-2?

Yes, you can still e-file without a W-2.

If you're a U.S. citizen or resident. You'll need to report all your income, whether it was earned in the U.S. or abroad.

To enter this income, open your return and search for foreign income. Click the "Jump to" link in the search results, answer Yes to Did you Make any Money Outside the U.S.? and follow the on-screen instructions.

If you lived and worked in a foreign country, you might qualify for the foreign income exclusion. We'll ask questions to see if you qualify after you've entered your foreign income.

In the previous years, you could not e-file when you had income from the United Nations because the United Nations does not have an EIN number. One use had the same problem this year. Has it been fixed? Can you e-file when your employer does not have an EIN number?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can efile but you must enter the information as foreign wages, and not on the W-2 entry screen.  

The instructions provided by TomK above still work in the current version of TurboTax.

@Delal

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I guess i posted my question in the wrong place: i worked for the United Nations in 2019 but in the United States. My "Statement of Earnings" from the UN says that my taxable earnings have to be reported on 1040 line 1 (and corresponding state return).

Can I still file online, even though the United Nations does not have an EIN number?

Thanks in advance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies