turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mike0214

I am attempting to efile. I had to use an override because the brokerage firm made an error. The program is preventing me from efiling. Any way around this?

The brokerage firm has not yet corrected the 1099B so I cannot download the correct info.  Therefore, I had to use the override.  Is there any way around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RenataS

I am attempting to efile. I had to use an override because the brokerage firm made an error. The program is preventing me from efiling. Any way around this?

You will not be able to e-file with override.   You can file extension and wait for corrected form or file by mail.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Any way around this?

A. Yes. Don't import the 1099-B.  Instead, type it in yourself. 

The original post is from several years ago.  However, if you type in 1099-B information that is different from the actual 1099-B that the broker sends to the IRS, then the IRS will flag it.

There is an error correcting code or codes for transaction detail on form 8949.

Usually Code "B" for correction to basis.

If you enter such a code, it is not considered an override, and you can e-File.

OR

as mentioned above, delete the erroneous transaction and enter the corrected transaction.

You will be able to e-File.

@RenataS 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies