Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hmg726

I am applying for a new job. I had to print my returns for my last 3 jobs. They want to know why I do not have a W2 form with the company name on my earlier returns.

Is the any way I can get that? I believe it was for the years between 2008-2011. I got W2's pages on my later returns.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am applying for a new job. I had to print my returns for my last 3 jobs. They want to know why I do not have a W2 form with the company name on my earlier returns.

You can download a free "Wage and Income Transcript" from the IRS website at:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
This type of transcript shows data from information returns the IRS receives such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information.

For a fee of $37 you can get a copy of a W-2 from the Soc. Sec. Administration.

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return to include copies of W-2's from the IRS, but that takes several weeks.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You can download a free "Wage and Income Transcript" from the IRS website at:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
This type of transcript shows data from information returns the IRS receives such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information.

For a fee of $37 you can get a copy of a W-2 from the Soc. Sec. Administration.

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return to include copies of W-2's from the IRS, but that takes several weeks.

hmg726

Awesome.. thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

Turbotax does not store or have copies of your W-2s.
hmg726

I understand that. There is a "Form W2" "Wage and Tax Statement". This form has the company name, employer number, wages etc.. when I downloaded the PDF for my returns, that form was not included with the 2008-2011 returns, but it was included with my 2012-2015 returns.

Only the newer year  PDF files contain "All forms and worksheets".  Historically, PDF files were always saved only as the bare-filing PDF....that's why the 2011 and earlier PDF files are truncated to only what is needed to file.

Don't know whether the large PDF files for 2012-and onward will always remain or whether TTX  will shorten them to the smaller file as each new year progresses...that hasn't been made clear to us yet.

Supposedly there is a way to get W-2's from the IRS or the SS admin....but I don't have the procedure., nor know how far back you can go.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
hmg726

OK, that's what I figured. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Did you keep your year-end paystubs from those jobs? That should be sufficient to show your prospective new employer. You can also show a bank statement with deposit of your paycheck.

If the interviewer/boss likes you, they'll hire you. If they don't like you, they won't.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies