Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larsong

I am already on a payment plan for past taxes and now I owe again this year how do I sent up that payment

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
Shawnne

I am already on a payment plan for past taxes and now I owe again this year how do I sent up that payment

Is it for Federal or State taxes? Have you already contacted the IRS to have the new liability included in the installment agreement?
jncjab

I have have same issue. I'm on installment and owe again. What do I do.

My sister in law has the same issue.  I believe that it's just for federal.  I've seen it answered yes and no.  So, which is it?  If you're on a payment plan for 2013 federal taxes and will owe money again in 2014, can you be on two separate payment plans?
Shawnne

If you owe federal taxes for 2013 or prior years and owe again for 2014, you can include the new balance (tax liability) in the current installment agreement.  There will only be one installment agreement which includes all of the tax years that you owe. You will want to contact the IRS as soon as possible to have it included because a new balance will automatically default your current agreement (It is one of the terms and conditions.)

You can call them at 1-800-829-7650, although there will be long wait times since it is peak tax season. You can go to local office (http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1), but they also have long wait times. If you submit another IRS Form 9465, you can include all of the tax years that you owe with the request to have the new tax year included. It is important to have the new tax year included because collection will start on the new tax year, if it is not added to the agreement. You will know when your return is processed because you will receive a tax bill.

If you owe because of withholding you can use TurboTax to change your W-4, so that you do not owe again next year.  

Here is some more information from www.irs.gov: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Payment-Plans-Installment-Agreements

If you owe for state taxes, you can contact your state department of revenue to find out your options.
Shawnne

You can contact your state department of revenue by clicking the link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

This doesn't answer the question completely. There is no option when filing your taxes to say, "continue with installment plan" or something of that nature... So I don't know what to do. The only options are, mail a check, pay with credit or debit card or request installment agreement ( you can only request if you haven't in the last 5 years)

Its state and I accidently setup wrong payment plan.  I am already paying back taxes. how do I change this payment plan for these taxes?

i own 1881 on 2017 amended taxes and i am on an installment plan.  I just did my 2021 taxes and i owe 835.  Do they combine them together or do i have to call them to add the new taxes on my current installment

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Once your new amount is added to your account, the IRS will send you a letter to set up a new payment plan for the total. In the mean time, just keep making your payment for your old agreement. 

If you have the cash, go ahead and pay as much of the new amount as you can before April 18.

Do not waste you time trying to call the IRS now. You are not likely to get through. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You

I previously owed $4600 for my IRS in 2021 and am on a payment plan.  I am paying $700 per month, but just now fixed my IRS payment plan for 2022 and owe $3200 for 2022.  What do I do now?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Please be cautious.  

The terms of the installment agreement include "a requirement that the taxpayer timely file all tax returns and timely pay all taxes for 5 years from the date of acceptance of the OIC. When the IRS terminates an OIC, the agreement is no longer in effect and the IRS may then collect the amounts originally owed (less payments made), plus interest and penalties."  Offers in Compromise - Offer Terms section

If you can find a way to pay your current taxes, I would suggest that.

Also, I recommend that you give your employer a new W-4 to have additional tax taken out of this year's wages.

@rajuncajun94

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So I am still paying on 2022 and if I end up owing on 2023, then you are suggesting we don't need to do anything and that it will be automatic, and that all we need to do is keep making our payments? Just want to make sure as some other people here were mentioning that we had to call in to have our new amount added to our payment plan, but you mentioned that it would be a waste of time to try to call? Thank you, just want to make sure I understand correctly.

Kam24

@gbootheturbo I don't recommend waiting. Alot of payment plans mention in the paperwork that it will put your plan into default putting you at risk if you wait. I called today and got my 2023 burden added to my 2022 payment plan at an increased monthly payment. I'll save you some time you will want to speak with the ACS department (found this out after an hour of phone tag) their direct number is [phone number removed]. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice and helped me get this taken care of quickly. Wishing you the best of luck and a positive resolution like I had.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies