Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a resident alien (J1) and receive a tax-exempt scholarship from Germany. What do I need to file?

I have entered my third calendar year in the US (J1 - researcher), and thus became a resident alien. I receive a tax exempt scholarship from Germany. My partner (J2) had a regular job in the US. For federal taxes I am filing only my spouses income (W2 slip).  Is that correct or do I need to file my scholarship, too?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am a resident alien (J1) and receive a tax-exempt scholarship from Germany. What do I need to file?

I would enter the scholarship amount under "Other Income" and also enter a negative amount for the offset.  

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue
  • You will also enter the same amount as a negative number for the offset.

Make sure you keep record or a statement to show it's tax exempt status when IRS asks for it. 

If you and spouse meet the filing requirements, you would need to file a Form 1040.  Click here:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/do-you-have-to-file-an-income-tax-return/L2hxskb...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thx. Based on Publication 519 Chapter 9 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf ; pg 48, middle column, "Students, Apprentices, Trainees, Teachers, Professors, and Researchers Who Became Resident Aliens") it says: "How to report income on your tax return. In most cases, you will not need to report the income on your Form 1040 or 1040-SR because the income will be exempt from U.S. tax under the treaty. " While this paragraph does not mention form W-9, the example below does.

Thus I do not think I need to report form 1040 (only my spouse does) because I do not receive any income (and neither any documentation like a W2 slip). However, I might need to file form W-9. If so, could you please help me out what (if anything) I need to put into line 4. Thanks so much.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Line 4 of the W9 is to fill out if you have interest in a business entity such as a partnership, S-Corp, or corporation). If you are filing this is an individual, line 4 does not need to be filled out. :

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thx Dave. So you agree that for me the best way forward is to follow the example given in Publication 519 Ch9 pg.48 middle column bottom? How can I find Form W-9 in Turbotax? Do you have an example for the required statement to the payer (I can adjust it to the German-US tax treatie)?

An answer to my questions above would be highly appreciated. This is the last piece of information I need to finally file my taxes. Thanks a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies