Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a firefighter/EMT. I am the VP of the local union. I received a 1099-MISC and box 7 (non employee compensation) is filled out. Am I considered self employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I am a firefighter/EMT. I am the VP of the local union. I received a 1099-MISC and box 7 (non employee compensation) is filled out. Am I considered self employed?

Yes, for that income since it was for non-employee compensation (Box 7). If you did not receive a Form W-2, you will have to enter the income on Schedule C.

If you received a 1099-misc, follow these steps:

You can enter a 1099-MISC on the 1099-MISC Summary screen.

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-misc.
  3. Select the option to go to the 1099-MISC section.
  4. Select Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
    • If you need to enter another 1099-MISC, select Add Another 1099-MISC to enter a new one.
  5. Enter the information from your 1099-MISC.
    • If your form has an amount in more than one box, you’ll need to enter them as separate 1099-MISC forms. We’ll help you with that.

I guess where i'm confused is why am I being taxed for self-employment on Union Dues reimbursement? I understand having to pay federal taxes, but why the added self-employment tax?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You are not wrong. This is what the IRS has to say:

Employee business expense reimbursements.

Do not use Form 1099-MISC to report employee business expense reimbursements. Report payments made to employees under a nonaccountable plan as wages on Form W-2. Generally, payments made to employees under an accountable plan are not reportable on Form W-2, except in certain cases when you pay a per diem or mileage allowance. For more information, see the Instructions for Forms W-2 and W-3, and Pub. 463. For information on reporting employee moving expense reimbursements on. 1099-MIsc

If you want to dispute this, you will have to go back to the issuer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies