turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

atgu53

I am a CPA self-preparing my own taxes using Turbotax and am due a refund. I'm doing these for myself, rather than for compensation. Does this mean I don't need a PIN?

I am reviewing my return and want to make sure the PIN is not needed to efile since the I have an IRS assigned PIN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I am a CPA self-preparing my own taxes using Turbotax and am due a refund. I'm doing these for myself, rather than for compensation. Does this mean I don't need a PIN?

"an IRS assigned PIN" You mean an ID PIN? Yes you would need that in any case (e-file or not).

If you are talking about an e-file pin, then note that the IRS is moving away from the self-assigned e-file pin from 2018 to using your 2018 AGI as the verification. 

This should be no problem for you, right?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If you're asking about the PTIN as opposed to the PIN, you need your 2018 AGI or your 5-digit PIN to e-file your own self-prepared tax return. As for your PTIN, Since Turbotax is for a self-prepared tax return,  there's nowhere to enter a PTIN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies