turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a babysitter since January 2023. I have multiple families but one may exceed $2600 for the year. It is based on my availability. How would I file at tax time?

None of them have done anything to do a 1099, some have offered since I gave them dates in advance that I am available (not sure if those are just at the end of the year). But I do not have an LLC. I thought about getting one but it seems rather complicated and confused on a lot of parts to it. I just want to make sure I file correctly at the end of the year (even though it will have a fee for not doing it quarterly). Thank you to any help in advance!
2 Replies

I am a babysitter since January 2023. I have multiple families but one may exceed $2600 for the year. It is based on my availability. How would I file at tax time?

You don't need to get the 1099NEC at the end of the year.  Even if you get a 1099NEC you can just report all your total income as cash.


You will need to keep good records.  You may get a 1099 at the end of the year if someone pays you more than $600 but you need to report all your income no matter how small and if you don't get the 1099NEC.  For the future, you should use a program like Quicken or QuickBooks to track your income and expenses.  There is a QuickBooks Self Employment bundle you can check out which includes one Turbo Tax Online Self Employed  return....



You use your own records.  You are considered self employed and have to fill out a schedule C for business income.   You use your own name, address and ssn or business name and EIN if you have one.   You should say you use the Cash Accounting Method and all income is At Risk.   


After it asks if you received any 1099Misc or 1099NEC it will ask if you had any income not reported on a 1099Misc. You should be keeping your own records.  Just go through the interview and answer the questions.   Then you will enter your expenses.


Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit greater than $400.  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.  


The SE tax is already included in your tax due or reduced your refund.  It is on the 1040 Schedule 2 line 4 which goes to 1040 line 23.  The SE tax is in addition to your regular income tax on the net profit.


Here is some IRS reading material……


IRS information on Self Employment



Pulication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business



Publication 535 Business Expenses


I am a babysitter since January 2023. I have multiple families but one may exceed $2600 for the year. It is based on my availability. How would I file at tax time?

You may need to send in quarterly estimated payments to cover any self employment tax and increase in income.


You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.


- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:

    90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or

  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months).


Turbo Tax will calculate the 1040ES estimated payments



How to make the Estimated payments



Here are the blank Estimates and instructions…..



To prepare estimates for next year you start with your current return, but be careful not to change anything.  For Online returns, if you can't get back into your return, Click on Add a State to let you back into your retun.


You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.


Or Go to….

Federal Taxes or Personal (Desktop H&B)

Other Tax Situations

Other Tax Forms

Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies