Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added a dependent to my state filing, then added them to Federal filing. Now state return has duplicate entry for that dependant. How to remove?

In state forms lines are visible, but not editable. How to resolve this, removing the duplicate entry?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I added a dependent to my state filing, then added them to Federal filing. Now state return has duplicate entry for that dependant. How to remove?

'I added a dependent to my state filing'.  

What state tax return are you filing?  How were you able to enter the dependent on this state tax return?  Are you not able to return to the state tax return and delete?  

Please clarify.

Best practice would be to remove the dependent from both tax returns, then add the dependent only to the Federal tax return.  The dependent information will flow to the state tax return.

Worst case option would be to remove all entries and start over.  

Click Tax Tools, then Clear and start over at the bottom left of the screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
usx10064

How do you remove the duplicated dependent from state filing?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Typically in state interviews you will be able to "Update" the "General Info" section.  Some states just go straight in to interview questions and the dependent questions will be early in the interview.  

If you still have trouble locating then repost here with the state interview you are in and someone may be able to assist with your specific situation.

usx10064

I'm in AZ.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

For AZ return to your AZ state interview and "Edit/continue." Click through/verify the residency/form information. You will then arrive at a page that has your federal dependent(s) listed. The list should include the ones you added in the federal interview.  Next you will get to your AZ only dependents including the duplicated one.  You can delete any of those from that page to eliminate the duplicate.   

usx10064

For AZ return to your AZ state interview and "Edit/continue." Click through/verify the residency/form information. I did the above, but Turbo tax to me to directly to the review page and I did not arrive at a page that has federal/state dependent(s) listed. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Get out of the review and return to the state return.   @usx10064  Here are the screens you will come to:

AZ dep.jpg

usx10064

I don's see the first screen shot you sent. This is what I see.

Turbo tax.PNG

usx10064

I found it. thanks so much. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies