turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Husbands needs to file state taxes separately but it won't let him file without federal online and I filed federal for us Jointly. Can he file online for state? How?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Husbands needs to file state taxes separately but it won't let him file without federal online and I filed federal for us Jointly. Can he file online for state? How?

5 Replies

What he would need to do, is set up a new account for him in TurboTax, prepare a separate Federal and mark it when finished file by mail (which it will not be as a joint return was already filed) and then do the state return.

Would the state also have to be filed by mail since the federal is? And then I would just not send the federal? Thank you, this helps a lot!

You will NOT file the mock federal return that feeds the separate state return ... you will only mail in the state return.

Got it, thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies