Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA overfunding errors.....still.

Reading from 2019 to 2024, this error still happens. The funny,(?), part is that over the last 3 years of having an HSA, I've never encountered this issue until this year. (It does seem that every year, Turbotax will throw me for a many hour, many post search for a solution to a different problem each year despite having no changes to my status or investments).

From all of the comments I have read, and 'solutions' I have tried, I still get the same error. Starting from scratch twice doesn't help either. Manually entering w-2, deleting forms, entering, not entering numbers, selecting 'none' on everything, patting my head while rubbing my stomach, trying the same forum, 'solutions', over and over that don't help.

I'm wondering at this point if TurboTax believes that one MUST have an HDHP in order to have an HSA? I can tell you that this is not the case. One can have a sole HSA that satisfies both Federal and State, (perhaps only some States), health insurance regulations and not have, or had an HDHP.

Even though I enter that I do not have an HDHP, and that I entered that I did not have an excess amount in my HSA, and I input my deductions and remaining end of the year balance that numerically shows that there was not, nor is not, any excess beyond the legally allowable maximum, which I don;t come close to anyway,  in my HSA,  I still have to review and enter how much I would like to withdraw in order to not exceed my yearly HSA amount.

In addition, as if that isn't enough, even if I delete my HSA related forms from TT to get around this issue, my w-2 still has this information listed which, at the review, starts the infinite, unsolvable issue once again.

Yes I'm frustrated. Yes for the last 3 years of having an HSA this was not a problem at all. Yes every year it's something. Why does a schedual K-1 that I got rid of 5 years ago and deleted from TT, still get called up during the 'review'?, Stuff like that.

I'm going on my third 'Clear and restart' filing.

Wish me luck......

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies