turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to allocate my health insurance

I'm 19 and on my parents insurance, how am I supposed to fill out the health ins. portion
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ShawnaD

How to allocate my health insurance

How you enter the information depends on if your parents are claiming you as a dependent on their tax return.

Please see the information below from Superuser TaxGuyBill:

• If your parents told the Healthcare Marketplace (usually when they applied for health insurance) that you were not going to be their dependent, you will probably receive a 1095-A of your own, and you will need to enter that into TurboTax. (instructions included further down below)

• If your parents did NOT tell the Healthcare Marketplace (usually when they applied for health insurance) that you were not going to be their dependent, you will NOT receive a 1095-A of your own.  
    • You will need to get a copy of your parents' 1095-A and enter it on your tax return.  On the screen after entering the 1095-A, you will check the box indicating that the policy was shared by somebody that is not on your tax return.  It will then prompt you with further questions to determine how much of it is "allocated" to you (even if it is 0%). Your parents would follow this same procedure.
    • If there was Advance credit received (column C of the 1095-A), your parents have the option to claim 100% of the 1095-A on their tax return, or to "allocate" part (or all) of it to you.  If you both agree, the allocation can be anywhere from 0% to 100%.  If you can not agree and Advance credit was received (column C on the 1095-A), then it is divided by the number of people on the insurance policy.  For example, if the insurance policy covers 4 people, each person is allocated 25%.

To enter Form 1095-A, please see the instructions below:

• Select Federal Taxes then select Health Insurance on the Tax Timeline
  • Answer the first question and click Continue
  • On the second screen "Were you enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016?" select "Yes"
  • Select "Obamacare plan (1095-A)" on the next screen 
  • Select "Yes" to the next screen "Do you have a 1095-A form to enter for your Obamacare Plan?"
  • Enter the data Form 1095-A on the next screen
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies