Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alar

How transfer 2022 from old computer to new computer, as I have 2 cd(2022 cd & 2023 cd))

I had installed Turbo Tax 2022 on my old computer (by 2022 cd, cd was bought last year) last year and had filed EFile in last Apr.

Now I have a new computer and bought a new 2023 TurboTax cd.

Is there specific installation sequence on my new computer when reinstall?

For example I should firstly re-install 2022 software with 2022cd+ previous license code, then insert 2023 cd and install 2023 software+ 2023 license code?

Thanks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How transfer 2022 from old computer to new computer, as I have 2 cd(2022 cd & 2023 cd))

You will need the tax data files from the old computer and copy them to the new computer.

On the old computer open the TurboTax folder in the Documents directory and copy all the files to a USB drive or other removable media.

Install the 2023 TurboTax program.  After the installation completes then copy all the TurboTax files on the USB drive to the TurboTax folder in the Documents directory of the new computer.

You can then start a new 2023 tax return and the 2022 tax data files will be available to transfer over.

Are you on Windows or Mac?
For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or starting in 2008, .tax2008, .tax2020, .tax2021, .tax2022 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.

What I would do on the old computer, is copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023 or .tax2023 to transfer into next year. You don't need to install older programs unless you need to amend or you didn't save the pdf file. And they only support the last 3 years. If you install an older year you won't be able to update it or download any state programs, so you won't be able to open your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies