turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to update turbotax files after professional filed amended returns

Long time Turbotax user--In 2018--I hired a professional tax return guy to amend my 2015 through 2017 returns.

(I had mis entered some partnership information beginning in 2015 and couldn't figure out what I did wrong--so hired a professional to sort things out which led to 3 amended returns)

I obviously have copies of all the amended returns.  

I would like to get back on Turbo tax for my 2018 return and want to know how. 

--- Should I go into each year and amend each in turbotax (3 amended returns)--using the professionally prepared amendment's numbers? 

----Will that then get me updated and allow me to proceed with my 2018--with the past return/s flowing to the 2018 new return?

Thanks !!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

updating my earlier post

I just transferred the amended 2017 return info to my 2017 Turbo tax -- using an amended 2017 return (form 1040x)

Changed all the schedules to what my tax guy had done--as shown in the amended return copy he gave me

The end result was an amended return in Turbo tax that matches what I filed via the tax guy late last year

Question-

Will this now transfer to a 2018 Turbo tax executed return . ( I didn't go back and do amendments to the 2015 and 2016 returns in Turbo tax--figuring that as long as I had the correct 2017 amended return based on tax guy's work--it would be picked up by the new 2018 t software)

Thoughts?

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you are using TurboTax Desktop for 2018, then when you start the return, you can browse for the .tax2017 file which will transfer your info into this year's return. If the information does not carry over from the 1040x, then you need to prepare a mock 2017 1040 with the same amounts as the 2017 1040x, then transfer that .tax 2017 file instead. Please see our article, Transfer last year's return to 2018 TurboTax for Windows, for more info.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A professional tax person found errors with the depreciation of my rental houses and fixed several year's worth of depreciation. I tried to create a Form 3115 in Turbotax as the professional did but it doesn't change any info on the 1040x in Turbotax.  I tried to enter the numbers directly but  cannot seem to enter numbers into the 1040X in Turbotax.  Help? I need to create a a 2017 revised tax return so I can upload into my 2018 return and finish my taxes for 2018.  If I create a mock 1040 by simply copying the numbers, will 2018 be searching for details from forms that are not a part of the mock 1040?

A professional tax person found errors with the depreciation of my rental houses and fixed several year's worth of depreciation. I tried to create a Form 3115 in Turbotax as the professional did but it doesn't change any info on the 1040x in Turbotax.  I tried to enter the numbers directly but  cannot seem to enter numbers into the 1040X in Turbotax.  Help? I need to create a a 2017 revised tax return so I can upload into my 2018 return and finish my taxes for 2018.  If I create a mock 1040 by simply copying the numbers, will 2018 be searching for details from forms that are not a part of the mock 1040?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies