Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to specify address info on TurboTax online edition while living abroad ?

I live overseas but all my US mails are still sent to my US mailing address. 

On TurboTax online edition, what do I specify as my physical address(residence) and my mailing address ?

Do I specify my physical address(residence) as the oversea address, and my mailing address as my US mailing address ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The address that you enter on your federal tax return is a mailing address. The IRS will send any correspondence about your tax return to that address, including a refund check if they send a refund by mail.

There is no separate physical address or residence address on a federal tax return. Where is TurboTax asking for your residence address?

The state where your mailing address is located might assume that it is your residence. If it's a state that has income tax, you might get a notice from the state saying that you have to file a state tax return and pay tax to that state.

Thanks. Please see screenshot. TurboTax online asks "State of residence" under the "My Info" section. Does "State of residence" mean my residence(physical) address ? 

state of residence.jpg

Any thoughts ? Thanks

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"State of residence" is just asking for the name of the state that you live in, not a complete address. You selected "Foreign or U.S. Possession." That's the correct answer for you, since you live overseas.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies