turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to retry an e-file for 2021 amended return that was rejected

I've used TT online for several years and I recently prepared amendments using TT for 2021 and 2022. I tried to use the e-file for 2021 and it immediately provided a status of "Rejected". The email that I received several minutes later does not have a helpful error code, instead just the weird message under "What happened", as shown below. The email info is not helpful and it strangely references the "2023 amended tax return" on the right side, which is incorrect.

Capture.PNGAfter this issue with 2021, I was able to successfully complete the e-file of my 2022 amendment without any issues. It's currently in Pending status, so the issue seems to be unique to 2021 and is not a problem with my system.

In addition to the worthless error code above, I'm now locked out of being able to edit my 2021 return so that I can attempt to e-file again. See the image below, where it is telling me now to download TT desktop, rather than providing a link to open my file. How to get TT to return to letting me edit/e-file 2021 again?

Capture.PNG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Previous answer posted in error.

[Edited 3/26/2024 | 6:58 am PST]

@blake4scherer 

I've tried clearing my Chrome browser cache and cookies and even using a different browser (Edge) that I rarely use, but it did not work. For 2021, it still looks exactly like the image I posted, which means there is no longer a button to click that opens my return for editing/amending. How do I get that back?

And why does the "View efile details" say "Received by IRS: Pending" at the same time its saying "Filing status changed to: Rejected". Help me out here TT, is my amendment pending or rejected?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can check that your return was received by the taxing authority  using these instructions: Check the Electronic Postmark of your Return. Pay close attention to the separate lines for Federal and State. They are separate statuses.

You can check the status of your amended return here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My issue seems like a bug with the TT that has locked me out of editing my 2021 return. Is this forum the right place to report this issue.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You have to mail in a 2021 amended return.  See Can I e-file 2022, 2021, or earlier tax returns? If you are not able to get into the program,  contact support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I contacted support and they were unable to help. Recommended that I file my amendment by paper.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies