jameszhjw

How to report rental property sale by TurboTax - Is there a step-by-step instruction ?

I owned a rental property for 10+ years and it had been rental property throughout the years.

I started the selling process from the end of 2018 and it got sold in Spring 2019. There was no rent collected since 1/1/2019 since it's in the sale process. 

During the reporting process, I did not see any field to utilizing the info from my "purchase closing data", "CA tax withdrawn tax data" or "Fed 1099-S".   It only asked me the sale price and expense at the depreciation section.  I may go through a wrong procedure.

Is there any step by step instruction based on TurboTax, better showing the screenshots what I should select and input, so that I can get through the right route?

Thanks!

ColeenD3

I assume you are entering the information in Sales of Business Property, since there was no rental use in 2019.

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Business" tab ("Federal Taxes" tab in Premier)
  2. Next click on “Business Income and Expense" ("Wages and Income" tab in Premier)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (Jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Less Common Business Situations” ("Business Items" in Premier)
  5. Choose “Sale of Business Property” and select “start’
  6. Select "Sale of business or rental property that you haven't already reported"
  7. Sale of Business or Rental Property - yes
  8. Enter all the information about your Rental Property Sale here

1. Description - address of property
  2. Date acquired - original acquisition date
  3. Date sold - date of sale (should be on 1099-S)
  4. Total sales price - total sales price (should be listed on 1099-S)
  5. Cost of property (or tax basis) plus expenses of sales - original cost plus any capital improvements plus expenses of sales
  6. Depreciation taken on this property - total depreciation taken property when rental (Please note the IRS will assume that you have taken the correct depreciation on your rental property while your property was available for rent regardless of whether you have actually take it or not)
  1. What type of property is this? - select - Rental estate that I took depreciation on.
  2. Installment sales - no if not on installment sale
  3. 2 screens that show the summary of what you have entered for your property sale
  4. Sale of Other Business Property - Choose yes if any of these situation apply, otherwise choose no.

For the CA withholding, enter it following these steps.

Federal Taxes tab

• Deductions and Credits
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Other Income Taxes - click start or update
  • Other Income Taxes Paid in 2019
  • Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

jameszhjw

Thanks for the very helpful response.  I actually entered the info at "Rental property -> Depreciation" area and so encountered the issues, but Not "Sales of Business Property" area.

The reason was that when I went through "Sales of Business Property" before, TurboTax instruction told me not to report the rental property sale there, but report it at the "Depreciation section of the rental property".

Per your response, I have some further questions...

1. As TurboTax instructed me to use "Depreciation" section at the rental property to report the sale, and so I just went to my rental property list, input "0" days for rent and personal use in 2019, and go through the steps to reach "depreciation" area.  Then I only saw "sale price" and "expense" field that allows me to input amounts.

Per your instruction, “Business Income and Expense" is a totally different section - Reporting at this  section seems not consistent with TurboTax instruction regarding rental property sale to make the reporting at Rental property->Depreciation.

2. What're the differences between "depreciation" in rental and “Business Income and Expense" to report rental property sale?

3. In the actual detailed situation - the tenant lived there in 2019 but since it's for sale and I need the assistance from the tenant, there was no rental collected.  Should this considered being rented or not during 2019, per tax definition?

4. If I input ">0" days (like 60 days) for renting during 2019 in "Rental property -> Depreciation" procedure, will the process allow me to report the sale at "Depreciation" area instead of “Business Income and Expense" area? 

5. If  Item 4 is "Yes", will the Sale reporting at Depreciation give me the chance/form/page to input "state withdrawn tax", "adjusted basis", "purchase cost" and 1099-S as “Business Income and Expense" does?

Thanks!

jameszhjw

this particular response is empty, but I didn't find a way to delete it.

kitkool

Hi, 

Your help is much appreciated on this question: I sold my rental property in 04/2020, which I rented out only for one month in 01/2020. Is this treated as Business property sale? If not, where in Turbo tax and what is the step by step to report this sale please?

Much appreciated!

Kit

JamesG1

In TurboTax Online, to report sale of the rental property, follow these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • At the top of the screen click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your income, scroll down to Rentals, royalties and Farm.  Click Show more to the right.
  • Click Edit / Add to the right of Rental Properties and Royalties.
  • At the screen Your 2020 rentals and royalties summary, click on Edit to the right of the rental activity.
  • At the screen Here's rental property info, scroll down to Assets (Depreciation) and click Edit to the right of the rental property.
  • Click Yes, I want to go to my asset summary.
  • Click Edit next to the asset that was sold.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this rental asset, click The item was sold, retired, stolen, destroyed, disposed of, converted to personal use, traded in, or given away.
  • Enter the date sold.  Click Continue.
  • Follow the interview questions to report the sale.

jessica9251768

I followed the step and finish entered the information. But the message comes up: "Your sale of property did not result in a gain. Report here only sales of property you made a profit on. We will remove this sale now." And all information was deleted. Where should I enter now?

Could you show me the step by step information of entering?

Thank you very much!

Lillian

ColeenD3

This answer from JamesG1 is exactly step by step. This section does not give that statement.

In TurboTax Online, to report sale of the rental property, follow these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • At the top of the screen click on Wages & Income.
  • Under Your income, scroll down to Rentals, royalties and Farm.  Click Show more to the right.
  • Click Edit / Add to the right of Rental Properties and Royalties.
  • At the screen Your 2020 rentals and royalties summary, click on Edit to the right of the rental activity.
  • At the screen Here's rental property info, scroll down to Assets (Depreciation) and click Edit to the right of the rental property.
  • Click Yes, I want to go to my asset summary.
  • Click Edit next to the asset that was sold.
  • At the screen Tell us more about this rental asset, click The item was sold, retired, stolen, destroyed, disposed of, converted to personal use, traded in, or given away.
  • Enter the date sold.  Click Continue.
DiddlyD

I followed this but it does not have any place to enter capital improvements and mortgage expenses to calculate deductions for capital gains tax.  My scenario involves the sale of rental property that was previously my personal residence for years prior to converting it to a rental so the many capital improvements/expenses I can deduct are not in the existing Rental depreciation schedule E.   So how can I make sure these deductions are factored in to.  Sale price minus original cost, minus capital improvements, minus mortgage loan costs, plus depreciation to determine what I owe in capital gains and depreciation recapture? 

DaveF1006

Capital improvements are added in as additional assets that need to be depreciated. Each improvement needs to be accounted for and depreciated. Mortgage interest is an expense that can be added. 

1. In TurboTax, go to federal>wages and income>see all income>Rentals, Royalties, and Farm>Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)>start or revisit
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2020 for property you own?
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.
    • We'll ask you to enter general information about your rental (like description, address, and ownership percentage). You will also be given the opportunity to report when the conversion was made from your  personal residence to a rental.
    • You will eventually reach a screen that says Do Any of These Situations Apply to This Property? here is where you indicate you sold the property. Then you will enter information about how long it was rented .
    • Eventually, you'll come to the Rental Summary screen, which is where you enter your rental income and expenses, assets and depreciation, and vehicle expenses. Here is what the screen will look like. From this screen, you can enter all your expenses plus your improvements (assets).

DiddlyD

I understand the sale of an asset (rental property) has the total depreciation taken while a rental (you can't depreciate owner occupied property) which should already have the capital improvements in the program that itemize the depreciation that was taken during the tax years it was a rental.  But the additional items are not capital improvements that were depreciated during the rental phase, they are items that add to the basis while I occupied it as my home for many years.  It is not proper in my opinion to add that to the basis in Sch E which is for a rental business.  Additionally, you can declare the mortgage loan "costs" for the loan too (this is not mortgage interest) I think their should be a Capital Gains Sch. that can deal with this without these work arounds that muddle the waters.   

DiddlyD

Additional note, you do not "depreciate" assets put in place when owner occupied.  You add them to the basis of the property when it is sold.  Properties are often owner occupied for years before becoming a rental and reported on Sch E Rents and Royalties.   BTW, I try to enter the total amount of additional improvements as an added deduction but Turbo tax threw it into "carry forward" because I reached the limit for the year. Turbo tax is poorly programmed to deal with this scenario.  I was able to manually figure what I owned and paid the taxes and filed for an extension because no one in support could properly help me so they just found a way to pass it onto to someone else or in one case was very nasty to me that they had other calls.  I have used Turbo Tax for years and sadden by this years events.