Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mayfirst02
Returning Member

how to re-efile 2021 1040?

How to re-efile my 2021 1040?

Today, I just learned, over the phone, from an IRS representative that there is no record of my "2021 1040 via TurboTax eFile around March 10, 2022".

Since, there is a refund involved, he suggested the followings:

(a) re-eFile via "2021 TurboTax" again,

(b) mail in the print package to Kansas City. 

[Phone line statics cut down on communication efficiency.]

My questions are

(Q1) Do I need to complete a "Form 1040-X" for both (a) re-eFile, as well as (b) paper print out?

(Q2) What is the 'TurboTax company procedure to re-eFile 2021 on the TT2021 Premier software (disc purchased from Costco.)?'  Will there be a fee for e-Filing? And what are the proper steps to carry out this task?

Please help this 2 decades dedicated customer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

While there is no charge to efile a federal return I don’t know if the software will allow it since you have done it once. Try and see. Print and mail a copy of your return. Don’t forget to sign it and include any W-2 forms and any other form that shows any tax withholding. 

No you can not efile a prior year 1040 or 1040X return from Turbo Tax.  Only professional tax preparers can efile prior  year returns. 

If the IRS didn't get your original 1040 return you do not do a 1040X amended return.  Just print and mail the 1040 again.   Did you file a state return?  Did  the state get your 2021 return?  That would indicate you filed federal.

Did you use the Desktop program to do 2021?   For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

Mayfirst02
Returning Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.

"Print & mail/+W-2 forms" is the most logical next action step.

Spent 3+ hours on "Browse by topic : to page 103", and "Community Basics".

Mayfirst02
Returning Member

To VolvoGirl,

1. ""No you cannot efile a prior year 1040 or 1040X return from Turbo Tax.  Only professional tax preparers can efile prior year returns. "" :: OK. Thanks.

2. ""If the IRS didn't get your original 1040 return you do not do a 1040X amended return.""  ::  OK, NO 1040X amendment form is required.  Just mail the print-outs-for-Fed-filing + F1099R Copy Bs. Thanks.

3. ""Just print and mail the 1040 again. ""  ::  Will do.

4. ""Did you file a state return?  Did the state get your 2021 return?  That would indicate you filed federal."" ::

Yes, I filed/mailed 2021 State return on March 9, 2022; refund arrived on May 31, 2022. Made a duplicate copy of the refund check prior to bank deposit.

Q1 - Please expand on "That would indicate you filed federal."  Is it a general practice that Federal Filing always precedes State?

5. ""Did you use the Desktop program to do 2021?   For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status""  :: YES. YOU HAVEN'T E-FILED A TAX RETURN YET....TT E-FILING CLOSED FOR THE TAX SEASON ON OCTOBER 17, 2022.

6. ""When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.""  ::  AGREE. We were familiar with this procedure. We did not get the ACCEPTED OR REJECTED message. We filled in the necessary e-filing information and watched the "SUCCESSFUL TRANSMITTED screen", and  *cleaned up the desk, forgot to follow up on the 2nd email. Our oversight this year*.  Federal eFiling had been flawless for the previous 3 or more years.

Well, lesson learned. Thanks again.

For #4  "did you file a state return"  If you had efiled the state and it was accepted and you got the state refund that would mean the federal efile had to be accepted first.  But if you mailed the state that does not indicate if you efiled federal or not.  

Mayfirst02
Returning Member

To VolvoGirl,

Thanks for the clarification. 

This applies : ""But if you mailed the state that does not indicate if you efiled federal or not.""

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies