Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nato8090

How to get a refund for TurboTax Online for military? Already declined but was wrongly charged.

I verified my military status, Enlisted rank, and added my W-2, and was still charged.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to get a refund for TurboTax Online for military? Already declined but was wrongly charged.

@nato8090 

You can certainly call Customer Support and ask...but that will be up to them.

When you start thru the phone  contact App below, do not use the word "Refund" anywhere, indicate you have a "Billing Issue", then when you get a person on the phone, ask for a credit and explain why.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

IF you use TTX in the future...always ask about that in this Forum BEFORE you pay and file.

There are sometimes subtle steps you can take to correct the issue, that we can lead you thru.

For instance, You entered a W-2 from DFAS, but DFAS also employs civilians. So the W-2 needs to marked as representing active duty service on the page after the W-2 entry.

If that doesn't work, then you might be able to get a Service Code from Customer Support...Before you file, that eliminates the charges.  But once you have paid and e-filed, you are at the mercy of the CS agent you get on the phone.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
nato8090

@SteamTrain , thank you for replying! 

I read through your previous blog posts on the topic and thought that, once I was ready to file, it would disappear. However, that did not seem to be the case.

I am deployed overseas, so I cannot call the CS team. Any other suggestions on engaging with them? I know that have had several very expensive class action lawsuits regarding dishonest advertising practices, so I would imagine they would be more responsive to customer complaints, especially if they are well-founded.

@nato8090 

(Part removed....forgot you already filed & paid)

Unfortunately, I have nothing else that might help. 

The vast majority of enlisted using TTX haven't had this problem, or we'd see thousands more complaints about it not working.....but what's causing it isn't readily apparent.

Certainly you could consider the other software providers, but I don't know if they offer a (supposed) free product for Military enlisted.  (I haven't looked).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies