glennmsmith58

How to fill out W-4 for California and Idaho when working in Idaho and living/working remotely half time in California

How to fill out W-4 for California and Idaho when working in Idaho and living/working remotely half time in California.  Both CA and Idaho are withholding.  I'd rather have the money now.  Which one should I decrease, how and by how much?

OpeA1

Hello glennmsmith58!

In order to determine which state's withholding to reduce, let me explain how you will be taxed.

•  When filing your taxes, you should complete the non-resident state first. then the resident state.
  • This will allow TurboTax to have the resident state add a credit to the taxes you paid in the non-resident state and thereby reduce your tax, ensuring you are not double-taxed.
  • With that in mind, it may be best for you to reduce the withholding in your resident state.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using TurboTax Live!