Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to file a child dependent who isn't mine

Im trying to file my fiances daughter as a dependent with her consent on my return but we cant figure out how to do so
1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

How to file a child dependent who isn't mine

Just answer the interview questions.  Start by saying "someone else" as the relationship.  If you don't get the dependent, it's because the child doesn't qualify.  An unrelated child living with you can't be your dependent unless all of the following are true:

1. the child lived as part of your household for the whole year

2. you paid more than half the child's living expenses

3. the child earned less than $4050 of taxable income 

4. the mother is not a taxpayer for 2016.

The mother is a taxpayer if she has income more than $10,350, or if she had less income but files a tax return in order to claim any credit or benefit other than a simple refund of withholding.  If the mother is a taxpayer in 2016, she must claim the child and you can't claim her, even if the mother is willing to allow it.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies