Solved: How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

You cannot prepare a 2018 return with the Online version.  The Online version is only to prepare the current tax return, which is 2019.

To file a 2018 return with TurboTax you need to download the 2018 Desktop software.  Prior year returns cannot be e-filed with TurboTax, they must be mailed.

You can purchase the 2018 TurboTax CD/Download software which is available at at the following website

past-years' taxes page

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

past-years' taxes page

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

Does this apply is my 2018 were done Online, but were rejected? 

Do I still need the Download version to resubmit? 

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

Yes, you need to download the 2018 software to finish and mail in your 2018 return. Prior years return can't be e-file.

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

And then what?  I know I can't file it electronically, but I have my 1040.  Do I mail it in?  Where?  What about state?  I've been struggling with this for a couple of hours and have had a hard time finding this on the irs.gov site as well.  Thanks.

How to file 2018 taxes in 2020

@thenord wrote:

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you have to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop programs from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A free state program is included with the 2018 desktop editions.  Complete the federal tax return and then download the state program.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Download State.  Complete the state tax return.

When you have completed both the federal and state tax returns you will go thru Review to make sure there are no errors.  Once the Review is completed, the tax return is ready to File.  In the File section of the program you select File by Mail, since the 2018 tax return cannot be e-filed.  Print the tax returns for mailing.  There are Filing Instructions for the Federal and State tax returns that have information on which forms and schedules to include with each tax return.  There is also the address on where to mail each tax return.

Make sure that you sign and date each tax return before mailing.