Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katieposh

How to do change my designation as self employed- I'm not. I'm a federal employee and work on the side

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

How to do change my designation as self employed- I'm not. I'm a federal employee and work on the side

If you worked on the side and did not receive a W-2 for that income, by default you are self-employed. You would need to enter that income on Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business.

Use these steps to enter your income not reported on a 1099-MISC (for example, on a tax summary when no 1099 is received:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “self-employment income” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass
  • Click on the blue “Jump to self-employment income” link
  • At this point, you can Edit the business that you have already entered, or click the Add Another Business link to enter information for a new business
  • Edit the Business Income section to see options for entering General Income
  • Under the General Income section, enter any income from sales or services that weren't reported on Forms 1099-MISC

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you worked on the side and did not receive a W-2 for that income, by default you are self-employed. You would need to enter that income on Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business.

Use these steps to enter your income not reported on a 1099-MISC (for example, on a tax summary when no 1099 is received:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “self-employment income” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass
  • Click on the blue “Jump to self-employment income” link
  • At this point, you can Edit the business that you have already entered, or click the Add Another Business link to enter information for a new business
  • Edit the Business Income section to see options for entering General Income
  • Under the General Income section, enter any income from sales or services that weren't reported on Forms 1099-MISC
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies