katieposh

How to do change my designation as self employed- I'm not. I'm a federal employee and work on the side

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Coleen3

If you worked on the side and did not receive a W-2 for that income, by default you are self-employed. You would need to enter that income on Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business.

Use these steps to enter your income not reported on a 1099-MISC (for example, on a tax summary when no 1099 is received:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search 
  • This opens a box where you can type in “self-employment income” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass
  • Click on the blue “Jump to self-employment income” link
  • At this point, you can Edit the business that you have already entered, or click the Add Another Business link to enter information for a new business
  • Edit the Business Income section to see options for entering General Income
  • Under the General Income section, enter any income from sales or services that weren't reported on Forms 1099-MISC

Coleen3