Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to determine the cost basis for a Money Market fund?

I held a Municipal Money Market fund in my investment portfolio for many years, which was recently sold. The price of the product was $1.00, the quantity was 975.63, and the proceeds from the sale were $958.63.  I received a 1099-B for this sale. When I imported/downloaded the transaction into TurboTax Deluxe from the financial institution, TurboTax is prompting me to enter a costs basis; also, it defaults the Sales category field to "Box B - Short Term noncovered".  It is my understanding that money market funds are similar to bank accounts where the cost basis is not applicable.  How do I handle this situation in TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

@Noahbuddies1 You are correct that most money market funds are stable meaning their NAV does not fluctuate. It may be off by small amounts.  Your way to handle this though is when you enter it into turbotax during the investment sale interview exactly as received from the broker.   But, choose "VARIOUS" as the purchase date.  You then can enter the cost basis equal to the proceeds manually.  You will also choose that it was long term.

It is a fairly simple interview in TT.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
maglib
Level 11

@Noahbuddies1 You are correct that most money market funds are stable meaning their NAV does not fluctuate. It may be off by small amounts.  Your way to handle this though is when you enter it into turbotax during the investment sale interview exactly as received from the broker.   But, choose "VARIOUS" as the purchase date.  You then can enter the cost basis equal to the proceeds manually.  You will also choose that it was long term.

It is a fairly simple interview in TT.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

if you sold 976 @1.00 and received 959 something is wrong, unless you paid some sort of commission or fee.

you have a loss of $17 so you should take it on your tax return.

@Noahbuddies1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies