turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to attach PDF to home edition for e-filing (case number [phone number removed] as the Support ID)

Greetings.  Not resolved.

We use the TurboTax home/office computer version… and have done even since the earlier Chipsoft versions, since 1987 I think.   My original query:

We financed a boat which qualifies as second home, and mortgage interest is deductible.  Our boat mortgage lender doesn’t provide Form 1098 for deductible interest.  In the past, previous boat, previous mortgage, we’ve been audited (3 separate years) and our deduction was upheld after I provided supplemental information to IRS.  That info came from our end-of-year monthly bank statements.  Responding to the audit was tedious and painful. Now we have a different boat, different lender… but still no 1098 will be provided.   Is there a way to upload our end-of-year monthly bank statement as we prepare for this year’s taxes – to try to avoid another IRS audit?

Your suggestion (I paraphrase):

Upload the end-of-year monthly bank statement to “My Docs” using my TurboTax account.  The upload will be linked to our tax return when we file.

How do I upload documents to My Docs™? (intuit.com)

Result so far:

After signing in to TT online, there is no Tax Home on the left menu.  That probably doesn’t appear until after having started a tax return in the online version.  I see no advantage to using the online version, and several disadvantages… so I’m not going there… and we’ll continue using the home/office computer version.  Which in turn means I guess we’ll just expect yet another IRS audit from this year’s tax filing.

Is there another way to attach additional supporting documentation in the home/office computer version for use with electronic filing.

If not, suggestion:

Incorporate a way in the home/office computer version to upload additional supporting documentation for use with electronic filing.

-Chris

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

How to attach PDF to home edition for e-filing (case number [phone number removed] as the Support ID)

You are correct that TurboTax for Desktop will accept attachments only if required by the IRS. The program prompts you to provide those attachments (ex: Form 1099-B for certain stock transactions). 

But if the IRS doesn't require more information, TurboTax doesn't allow you add attachments. Also, it's generally best to avoid providing too much information unless requested.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for reply, and confirmation.  Understood.  Can't attach something now.  My suggestion stands: make it possible for future releases.  Maybe build in a specific capability for an attachment when claiming mortgage interest with no 1098.

Many RVs and boats qualify for the interest deduction, and apparently many RV and boat lenders won't provide a 1098.  Past experience suggests claiming the deduction without a 1098 automatically leads to an audit.  TT does not currently flag the situation as an audit risk, but I'd say our previous audits over 3 years in a row sounds like an identifiable situation where risk of audit could be avoided... if I could attach an end-of-year monthly statement from our lender that clearly cites interest we paid over the previous year.

I now expect we'll be audited for this electronic filing.  (Paper filing, to include justification, is too cumbersome to bother with.  Not a particularly attractive option.)

-Chris

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies