Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How to account for 1099 MISC from AmeriCorps Education Award

DON'T ENTER IT AS A 1099-MISC

Sign into your account and start the return (Pick up where I left off)

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Wages & Income along the top

(Click  “I’ll pick what I want to work on” and click  “Add more Income” and “See list of all income” if needed)

FOR ONLINE:

Under Income scroll to the bottom and click Show more under “Less Common Income”

Scroll to the bottom “Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and click Start

Scroll to the last choice and click Start next to “Other reportable income”

(this screen says “Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC. Please disregard this warning for the Americorp 1099-MISC)

Type  Americorps 1099-MISC  as the description and the amount and Continue

Click Done on the next page

The online program puts the amount on line 8 with the description of “Americorps 1099-MISC". 

This is how the IRS wants it reported

It will not be treated as self-employment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
crice18

Hi

So the online form won't allow me to put Americorps 1099-MISC in the amount section do I just continue on and leave it as is? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, you put the amount into the amount box, (Box 3) 

you type   Americorps-1099-misc   into the description field 

Thank you for this help!

cven07

Hello,

I reported both my 1098T and additional Americorps award via the approach outlined here, listing additional income because I have scholarships that are different from the americorps award. Is it wrong that I included both?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, that is the way it's done.

Scholarships are entered in the "Education" section and the Americorps award is entered through the 1099-MISC. 

They should represent different income. In other words, the Americorps award reported on a 1099-MISC should not be reported a second time on your 1098-T. 

OllieT

Same. Help!

mlelarke

I followed the instructions above and the amount from my ed award is listed on Line 8 of Schedule 1, and line 7a on the 1040 ("Other income from Schedule 1.") 

Is this correct? Or does this mean it's counting my AmeriCorps ed award as self-employment income?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, and thanks to  @KrisD15 for the updated explanation. (It does not appear on Line 21, as the initial solution in this thread said.) 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@mlelarke

You’re right, the amount should be on line 8 of Schedule 1, and carried over to line 7a of the Form 1040.  It’s not counting your AmeriCorps award as self-employment.

You’re correct, also, that line 21 of Form 1040 is an old reference.  It refers to 1040 forms prior to tax year 2018, despite the date stamp on the comment.

I was able to enter it as a 1099-MISC without it counting as self-employment income: I entered the AmeriCorps Education Award as a 1099-MISC into TurboTax (Home & Business download), and selected "no" when asked "Does the AmeriCorps Education Award involve work like my main job?" and selected "no" again when asked "Did the AmeriCorps Education Award involve an intent to earn money?"

I entered it as a 1099-MISC without it counting as self-employment income: I entered the AmeriCorps Education Award as a 1099-MISC into TurboTax (Home & Business download), and selected "no" when asked "Does the AmeriCorps Education Award involve work like my main job?" and selected "no" again when asked "Did the AmeriCorps Education Award involve an intent to earn money?" It showed up under "other income" on Schedule 1, which is where the IRS said it should be. (When I entered the 1099-MISC, it also asked for a brief description, and I wrote "AmeriCorps Education Award.")

I see  you posted this in February; I hope you got an answer or figured it out!

ssk1

Ok, so just to clarify:

If my tuition expenses are 7,000 (reported in 1098-T box1) and my scholarships and grants were 5,000 (reported in 1098-T box 5), but part of the $5000 in grants is a $3000 Americorps grant that I already reported as income (because I received a 1099 Misc for it), then when I enter my 1098-T,  am I supposed to change the box5 amount to $2000 instead of $5000? Or do I edit this some other way?  Or just not file the 1098-T?  

Thank you. 

eri329

Even though the site says "Do not enter if 1099-MISC" that is justifiable b/c of the Segal Award?

Thank you. I did exactly this and it shows as fine for federal, but when I get to state taxes, for some reason it is asking me about my self-employment income/business. What do I do for this/how to get that to go away? 

Go back to federal and delete the 1099-MISC

Then enter it following these steps:

Federal

Wages and Income

Other Common Income

Form 1099-MISC

You will fill in the field that asks what the 1099-MISC was for with the name of the Award

Complete the rest of the form

This is not like your main job and is not an intent to earn money

Form 1099-MISC is intended to report the income of taxpayers who are not employees, such as independent contractors, freelancers, sole-proprietors, and self-employed individuals. The form is also used to report non-employee compensation such as rents, prizes, awards, healthcare payments, and payments to an attorney.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies