Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sborshik

How much money did I save by claiming a dependent in 2023 - my AGI was $111,000?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How much money did I save by claiming a dependent in 2023 - my AGI was $111,000?

Personal exemptions were removed from the tax code after tax year 2017.

If you had a dependent child under the age of 17, then you would be eligible for the $2,000 child tax credit on the 2023 tax return.

If you had a dependent child age 17 or older, then you would be eligible for the $500 Other Dependent tax credit.

Look at your Form 1040, Lines 19 and 28.  If there are amounts entered you received the credit on the 2023 tax return.

You have not told us if the dependent was a child under the age of 17 or if the dependent was someone else like a parent, sibling, GF or BF, etc.  If the dependent was your child, you may have received the child tax credit, maybe the childcare credit, education credit if the child was a college student.....we cannot give you an amount without more details from you.   We also do not know if claiming the dependent enabled you to file using Head of Household filing status instead of filing Single--which would affect your standard deduction.   Or---if you filed married filing separately, some credits are disallowed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies