Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long is a turbotax download usable (for re-install like a CD)

ONCE AGAIN, I WILL START OFF WITH IT BEING ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO TRY TO ASK A QUESTION TO THE WONDERFUL TURBOTAX COMMUNITY - WHY IS THAT SO HARD??

Yes, a Turbotax user (community also) for perhaps 20+ years (lost track) and I seem to have this problem of how to ask a question - and finally stumble onto it after 15-20 minutes of exhaustive searching.

ANYWAY, HERE IS THE QUESTION

I am a Turbotax CD guy, with CDs going back many, many years (even floppies I think).  I know the downloads are still available for re-download for 3 years . . . . . . BUT . . . . 

if I save the download on a USB Drive, is the downloaded copy complete (i.e. like a CD) - like 5 years later, can I re-install Turbotax from that downloaded copy. 

[I.E. Is a downloaded Turbotax identical to the file you would get on a CD?]

And of course, another question is, how long will the automatic  Turbotax Updates from Intuit (Turbotax) be available (that nice feature of Turbotax being updated about every 2-3 times I load it). 

[And yes, I would have the same issue with re-installing Turbotax from a CD.]

OK, you may ask why I would want to reload Turbotax years later, but a couple of years ago, I did have to go back and submit 3 years of Amended returns.

SORRY - SORRY - SORRY  This always happens - when I try to ask a question and think about how to ask it - and I have pretty much have my answer - because I was able to do Amended Returns without any problems because I still had the updated versions of Turbotax left on my PC and did not have to re-install TT for the past several years.

So now, my real question is #2 above - and that is how long will Turbotax be supported (via a re-install) with the automatic updates every time I re-load Turbotax.

I think everyone will understand my question and concern here - even though question #1 above may turn out to be meaningless.  [Yes, it seems even CDs are going away.]

ron in shawnee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The download is the same as the CD except maybe has more current updates in them.  But they only support and update the last 3 years.  They recently stopped supporting 2019 when they put 2022 in the past year's section.   So if you try to install 2019 or prior you won't be able to update it or download any state programs you might need.

And since they started using a License Code to activate the program in 2019 you won't be able to  activate it.  You might be able to install 2018 or prior since they didn't use a License Code.  But you won't be able to update them or open any returns that  have a state return.  

Did that cover it?   Or did I miss something?

After the last possible e-filing date for a tax return-----three years after the original filing deadline----TurboTax stops supporting and providing updates for the CD/download software.  So....now....you cannot get the downloads, updates or support for 2019 or any earlier years.

And...no, the CD/s (or floppies !!!) do not have the updated software.  They only have the "beta" versions which would need updates.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

VolvoGirl, Champ-

Thanks for the help.

So if I understand the update business you described - if I take my CD for 2020 (purchased Dec 2019) and reinstalled it, Turbotax would still be able to update it, even though there have probably been maybe 100 or more updates to that old original version on my CD.  This is more of a theoretical question because I don't want to keep beating this thing to death, but I am still curious.

Anyway, let me re-ask one more question, the original one in a different way. 

IS THERE ANY REASON at all, to want or need to prefer a CD over a software download.

ron in shawnee

No.  After years and years of buying the CD I finally bought the Download from Coscto.  It went very smooth.  

OK VolvoGirl, thanks.  Funny you mentioned Costco because I have been waiting for it to show up there - and thinking that this is also the year for me to make the plunge to the Downloaded stuff.

Am beginning to think CDs are going the way of the floppies - may soon be collectables.

Thanks again VolvoGirl, you are always there.

ron in shawnee

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies