Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How get stimulus check if old mailing address no good?

I moved last November across the country. The last address the IRS had for me is a PO Box owned by a man who is very ill, and as it was a business PO Box, none of my mail can be forwarded from it. I filed through Turbotax a few weeks ago, with my new address, but I never set up a bank account with the IRS. The IRS system will NOT let me set up online because for some weird reason they can't verify my phone number?! (Verizon cell phone I've had for over a decade). So I'm sure my check will be mailed to that old PO Box, and will just sit there for 6 months or a year -if it isn't stolen. Also, if the IRS sends a verification letter to that address, I can't get it! Help! Thanks.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you filed a return this year with your new address, the stimulus check will be mailed to your new address. The IRS will use the most recent information.

Related:

Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

What You Need to Know for IRS Stimulus Payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you filed a return this year with your new address, the stimulus check will be mailed to your new address. The IRS will use the most recent information.

Related:

Coronavirus Tax Relief | Internal Revenue Service

What You Need to Know for IRS Stimulus Payments.

Gasca

I moved to a diffrent state and the irs have my old p.o box info dont even kno if my stimulis check was sent there or not but want to know how i can update my new adress so the irs can send my checks to my current address?thank you

@Gasca wrote:

I moved to a diffrent state and the irs have my old p.o box info dont even kno if my stimulis check was sent there or not but want to know how i can update my new adress so the irs can send my checks to my current address?thank you

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A33. To change your address:

• If you have not filed your 2019 tax return, enter your new address on your tax return when you file. When your tax return is processed, we'll update our records.
  • If you have filed your 2019 tax return and you do not receive direct deposit of your refund, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file for you. This is generally the address on your most recent tax return or as updated through the United States Postal Service (USPS).
  • The change of address must be processed before we schedule your Payment.

Then why havent I gotten any of my 3 stimulus checks. All have said scheduled to be mailed to my address but not 1 of them were sent I cant figure out why 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If all three stimulus payments were mailed and you have not received any of them, then you should consider starting a payment trace.

You should request a payment trace to track your payment if Get My Payment shows a payment was issued to you and you have not received it within the timeframes below. IRS assistors cannot initiate a payment trace unless it has been:

• 5 days since the deposit date and the bank says it hasn't received the payment
  • 4 weeks since the payment was mailed by check to a standard address
  • 6 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a forwarding address on file with the local post office
  • 9 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a foreign address

If the checks were not cashed, the IRS will issue you a new ones.

To start a payment trace:

• Call the IRS at 800-919-9835
  • Mail or fax a completed Form 3911

For more information, please see Topic J: Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

@Johnnyp7619

Kesha107

I need my stimulus check send it to my home address

If your last filed return has a bad address on it then you need to mail in a form 8822 :  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

The missing first 2 stimulus payments should have been reported on the 2020 return you filed as a credit on line 30 of the form 1040.    The third stimulus payment would be released once they process the 2020 return ... if you don't get it by January then that will be a credit on the 2021 return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies