turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I use a IRC 1341 credit on New York State tax?

Short version: In 2021, I had to repay my employer part of my sign-on bonus that I was granted in 2020. As a result I overpaid my NY state taxes for the tax year of 2020. I have been told I need to claim a "IRC 1341 credit" when I file the taxes for 2021, in 2022. If so, how do I adjust my NY state taxes? Do I need Turbo Tax Desktop for this or will Turbo Tax Online do it for me? Or is this too complicated that it warrants a in-person CPA help?

Details:

• I joined a company in July 2020 and got a sign-on bonus, at the time of joining.
  • I left the company in March 2021, before a year was up. Upon my departure, as part of the sign-on bonus agreement, I was asked by the company to pay back part of the sign-on bonus.
  • I repaid the bonus clawback in Jun 2021. I am not sure if I will get an adjusted W2 from the company or not.
  • I have already filed my taxes for year 2020, but haven't gotten the refund yet because of IRS delays

2 Replies

Short version: In 2021, I had to repay my employer part of my sign-on bonus that I was granted in 2020. As a result I overpaid my NY state taxes for the tax year of 2020. I have been told I need to claim a "IRC 1341 credit" when I file the taxes for 2021, in 2022. If so, how do I adjust my NY state taxes? Do I need Turbo Tax Desktop for this or will Turbo Tax Online do it for me? Or is this too complicated that it warrants a in-person CPA help?

•  in Jun 2021. I am not sure if I will get an adjusted W2 from the company or not.
  • I have already filed my taxes for year 2020, but haven't gotten the refund yet because of IRS delays

you will not get a corrected W-2 because you did not make the repayment in 2020.

how much did you repay? if $3,000 or less there is no deduction or credit available. if more than $3,000, then in 2021 when you made the repayment,  you can take as a deduction on schedule A line 16 denote as IRC 1341 repayment

OR
recompute the taxes in 2020 by excluding the amount of repaid wages  from line 1 of the w-2 

the decrease in taxes is taken as a credit on schedule 3 line 12d denote as IRC 1341 on your 2021 return.

see this link for instructions on computing credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/unemployment-taxes/help/what-is-a-claim-of-right-repayment/00/2153... 

Thanks for the answer - you clarified a lot of my questions. Yes it is more than $3000. My question was specific to NY state taxes. Will the instructions you pointed me to cover both federal and NY state specific taxes? Would the CD I buy need to be of a specific type for NY? I have only ever used the online version.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies