Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I take out the hyphens on my federal W-2 ID number? State Taxes Review keeps giving me this error to take them out.

The error I keep getting when I try to review my State Taxes: "Form TC-40W (1): UT Withholding ID number must be 14 characters long without hypens, you must go back to federal W-2 to update the employer/payer state withholding ID. " I'm guessing that this is to take out the hypens in my SSN, but when I go back, nothing works to edit them. I even called and talke to someone yesterday, without any luck.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How do I take out the hyphens on my federal W-2 ID number? State Taxes Review keeps giving me this error to take them out.

Simply remove the dash in the state field of the W-2 in your federal return.  Do not enter any letters at all regardless of what is on the W-2 and do not leave any space, just eliminate the dash. You can use the federal EIN if you want as well, with no dash. Use the information below as well if you are using TurboTax Online.

In this situation, first please try clearing the cookies and cache.   It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Once this is complete open your return and continue your review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the state ID number in the second part of box 15 on the W-2.

It has nothing to do with your SSN.

For Utah, that is 11 digits PLUS 3 letters at the end......and those final three letters must be lower case on the W-2.

example:

12345678901wth

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies