Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Employee Tax Expert

How do I report dividends and interest on Joint accounts that all use his SSN as the tax ID, if we file separate tax returns?

Yes, if you jointly own the account 50/50 then all numbers should be split in half when you do the entry. For the one whose social security number (SSN) is not listed on the document you can choose to nominee half to the other person (assumes this is not a spouse).


As explained by TurboTax:

"Nominee Interest: Some or all of the interest belongs to someone else but the entire amount was reported under your Social Security number. This includes interest belonging to your child but reported under your ID number."


It's not unusual for a broker or fiduciary to send a form like a 1099 (INT or DIV)  under one SSN when the interest, in part or all, belongs to someone else.  A nominee adjustment removes the amount from your taxable income.


In TurboTax you do this by entering the 1099, then checking on the next screen that you need to adjust the amount.  You'll then be able to enter the adjustment amount and check the reason for the adjustment. You can do this for both 1099-INT and 1099-DIV). Keep your documents with your tax return.


**Join us for our "All about the refund" event, sign up here

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies