If you earned income not reported on a W-2, you are by default self-employed for that income. You will need to enter it on Schedule C, found in the Self-Employed Edition.
You may or may not have gotten a reporting form 1099-Misc. You may enter the income regardless.
1) Didn't get a 1099-Misc for your self-employed income?
Report income without a 1099. Here's how to do that:
- Click on Federal Taxes on the top row of TurboTax Deluxe Online.
- Click Wages & Income
- Under All Income, click Show all income
- Scroll to Self-Employment, click Start
- Click Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
- Enter any income from sales or services that weren't reported on Forms 1099-MISC
2) Here are the quick instructions for entering your 1099-MISC. Keep in mind:
There are several types of 1099-MISC forms, with different requirements on your tax return (See details below).
- After you enter the info from your form, we’ll ask you questions to determine the type of 1099-MISC, whether that’s Self-Employment or another type like Rental Properties and Royalties, Farm Income and Farm Rental, etc. We’ll determine what type of income you received and link your 1099-MISC to the correct income section of your return.
- Open your return.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button.)
- Search for “1099-misc” at the top. In the search results, click the “Jump to” link.
- Now follow the screens to enter your 1099-MISC info and answer some questions.