turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove dependents from my Turbo Tax? My children have grown and do their own taxes.

My wife and I file jointly and have claimed our twins as dependents for 20 years, but they have grown and want to do their own since they've been living out of the home more than not, all of 2022.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I remove dependents from my Turbo Tax? My children have grown and do their own taxes.

Using the TurboTax online editions, click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.  Delete the dependents that are listed.

Using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, click on Personal Info on the top of the desktop program screen.  Delete the dependents that are listed.

TomD8
Level 15

The fact that your children prepare their own tax returns does not in itself disqualify them from being claimed as dependents on your tax return, if they otherwise qualify.

Additionally, if they do meet IRS requirements to be claimed as dependents, they must indicate that fact on their own tax returns - regardless of whether or not you actually do claim them.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

@sandorbatyi - if they are in school / college, it is possible (and normal) to continue to claim them.  

They are in college, but they pay for an apartment near school on their own and are only home on breaks and some holidays during which time they also have p/t jobs near our home. They are mostly independent. But I have come to realize, it's too early for my question since our 2022 taxes will not be started until all the W-2's are in. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

Manage cookies