Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I remove a duplicate EIN number for a trust with the IRS? Wrong number used in 2018, IRS issued a new EIN number. Now there are two EIN numbers for one account.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I remove a duplicate EIN number for a trust with the IRS? Wrong number used in 2018, IRS issued a new EIN number. Now there are two EIN numbers for one account.

Information with respect to closing an account can be found at the IRS site (see the link below), but it typically is not necessary to do so; just use the EIN the IRS has assigned to the account (in this case, the new one).

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/canceling-an-ein-closing-your-account

Thank you for your response. Would we still use the new EIN number if the Trust has been existed since 2007 and there was a filing in 2010 with the old number? 

You should use the EIN the IRS has assigned, regardless.

Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies