Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I reflect in TurboTax that a 1099-B (long-term with basis reported to IRS) is for the sale of a collectible?

I received a 1099-B for the sale of a gold fund (GLD).  How do I reflect in TurboTax that this 1099-B is for the sale of a collectible, which I understand is taxed at a higher rate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How do I reflect in TurboTax that a 1099-B (long-term with basis reported to IRS) is for the sale of a collectible?

When you enter the Form 1099-B in the Investment Income section of TurboTax, choose Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Bonds, etc... and you will be asked if the sale includes other types of investments, such as land, collectibles and other items. When you go to enter the Form 1099-R, you will choose "Collectible" for the type of investment sold. On that same screen you will be asked about the reporting of the sale as long-term covered and the such.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The Gold EFT (GLD) is not a collectible.  When you own GLD you own a precious metal commodity fund.  it is an investment, not a collectible. 

Thanks for the quick response.  Per the "SPDR® GOLD TRUST 2023 Grantor Trust Tax Reporting Statement", GLD is a considered a "collectible" taxed at maximum federal rate of 28% versus 20% for other LT gains. See the following:

"The Trust holds only gold bullion and, accordingly, received no income during the year. Under current law, gains recognized by individuals from the sale of 'collectibles,' including gold bullion, held for more than one year are taxed at a maximum U.S. federal income tax rate of 28%, rather than the 20% rate applicable to most other long-term capital gains. For these purposes, gains recognized by an individual upon the sale of GLD shares held for more than one year, or attributable to the Trust's sale of any gold bullion which the Shareholder is treated (through its ownership of shares) as having held for more than one year generally will be taxed at a maximum U.S. federal income tax rate of 28%."

Given GLD is treated as a collectible, how do I reflect in TurboTax that a 1099-B received for the sale of GLD (long-term with basis reported to IRS) is for the sale of a collectible?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When you enter the Form 1099-B in the Investment Income section of TurboTax, choose Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Bonds, etc... and you will be asked if the sale includes other types of investments, such as land, collectibles and other items. When you go to enter the Form 1099-R, you will choose "Collectible" for the type of investment sold. On that same screen you will be asked about the reporting of the sale as long-term covered and the such.

"The Gold EFT (GLD) is not a collectible"

That is incorrect.  Firstly, the 1099s I got from TD Ameritrade always identified as such.

Also, from the SPDR GLD tax information PDF for tax year 2023:

"Shareholders generally will be treated, for U.S. federal income tax purposes, as if they directly owned a pro rata share of the underlying assets held in the Trust. Shareholders also will be treated for U.S. federal income tax purposes as if they directly received their respective pro rata shares of the Trust’s income and proceeds, and directly incurred their pro rata share of the Trust’s expenses. Most state and local income tax authorities follow U.S. federal income tax rules in this regard. However, Shareholders should contact their own tax advisors as to the state and local tax consequences of ownership of GLD shares. The Trust holds only gold bullion and, accordingly, received no income during the year. Under current law, gains recognized by individuals from the sale of "collectibles," including gold bullion, held for more than one year are taxed at a maximum U.S. federal income tax rate of 28%, rather than the 20% rate applicable to most other long-term capital gains. For these purposes, gains recognized by an individual upon the sale of GLD shares held for more than one year, or attributable to the Trust's sale of any gold bullion which the Shareholder is treated (through its ownership of shares) as having held for more than one year generally will be taxed at a maximum U.S. federal income tax rate of 28%. The U.S. federal income tax rates for capital gains recognized upon the sale of assets held by an individual U.S. shareholder for one year or less are generally the same as those at which ordinary income is taxed."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies