Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crystalb81
Returning Member

How do I provide documentation of proof of guardianship of my daughter for the year 2020, in order to receive her economic impact payment?

I retained legal custody of my daughter August 16, 2019 but her grandparents claimed her on their taxes for the year 2019.  I need to know how to receive the stimulus payments due for my child.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

How do I provide documentation of proof of guardianship of my daughter for the year 2020, in order to receive her economic impact payment?

You will need to file a tax return for tax year 2020.  On that tax return you will claim your daughter as a dependent.  If she is age 16 or under, she will qualify for the child stimulus payments. Those amounts will be added to your tax return as a Recovery Rebate Tax Credit.

That someone else received stimulus payments for the child based on prior year returns is not a factor on your 2020 tax returns.  You do not enter those payments on your tax return. You only enter the payments you received in rounds one and/or two.

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

As you go through the interview questions in TurboTax about claiming a dependent keep in mind the rules for claiming a dependent included below.  You can also check here for detailed information on claiming dependents. 

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies