Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I prepare a filing for my adult children?

My daughter 20 is in college & works part time, my sone is 24 and on active duty
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If your daughter does not supply more than half her own support, and you do, you would claim her as your dependent.

You would claim all education expenses on your return and apply for an education credit if applicable. 

If there is excess scholarships, the student would need to claim that as income. 

If your daughter does supply more than half her own support, she files as a non-dependent. (Scholarships do not count as her suppling support but loans do)

We would need more information concerning your son. 

Was he 24 before December 31st 2023.

Was he living at home before he went into the military?

Did he earn more than 4,700 in 2023?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My son turned 24 in Feb 2024, his military pay w2 for 2023 is @35k. , he has been in the service for @ 4 years.

Thank you 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Since your son is not a student and earned well over $4,700, you would not be able to claim him as a dependent on your return even if he lived with you during the year. 

To claim someone as a qualifying child:

• Your child (including adopted and foster children), your sibling, or a descendent of any of them.
  • Age 18 or younger at the end of the tax year OR under 24 (and younger than you and your spouse) if they are a full-time student
  • Lived with you for more than 6 months during the tax year
  • They did not provide more than half of their own support
  • They did not file a joint return, unless it was to claim a refund

A qualifying Child may allow you to claim Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax.  If they are 17 or older, then you would not get the Child Tax Credit, but instead you would get the Other Dependent Credit.

To claim someone as a Qualifying Relative, they must be:

• Your child ( including step children, adoptive children and foster children) or a descendent of them
  • Your sibling (including half siblings) or a child of your sibling or a sibling-in-law
  • Your parent or grandparents, including step parents and in laws
  • Any other person that lived with you for the entire tax year
  • Not a qualifying child of another taxpayer
  • Someone that you provided over half of their support for during the tax year
  • Has less than $4,700 in income (not counting social security)

Claiming someone as a qualifying relative allows you to claim the $500 Non-Refundable Other Dependent Credit 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Vanessa - 

I am not trying to claim either child as a dependent - I simply want to open a prepare a filing for them to show them how simple it is and teach them to manage their own tax filing obligations.

Every time I open TT it defaults to my account vs allowing me to create a new account in their names and prepare a simple return.

For your Daughter:

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one. To file a separate return for your dependent you need to set up a new account. Online is only good for one return per account. You can use the same email address for 5 accounts. They can probably use the Free Edition. 

You can still claim them on your return. Be sure on their return they check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else’s return. If their only income is W2 and under 13,850 they do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out.

Filing requirements for a dependent
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Online is only good for 1 return per account.  So don't use your account or you will overwrite your return.   Start an Online return here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

Or you can  use the Desktop CD/Download program.  It can do unlimited returns and efile 5.  And you can buy a low version.   All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  Buy the Desktop CD or the Download program here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies