Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joekahl

How do I open .tax2017 file when using the 2018 web app?

I have used the desktop app every year for many years.

I have the .tax2017 file.

If the online is free, I think it makes sense to use it.

But I want to avoid entering everything manually.

Can TurboTax 2018 online web app import a .2017tax file?

It seems like it should be able to.  It's Turbo Tax paid app from last year.  Why not prioritize in favor of people who paid last year?  Disappointed.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring 2017 tax data to the 2018 online tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-online

joekahl

This is not an answer.  I want to upload my 2017 CD/download tax file to the online web app.
I cannot recommend this answer.

The answer is correct.  All you needed is provided in the section - "If you used the TurboTax CD/Download software last year"

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions
Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

That is exactly what that answers addresses. Click on the second blue line within it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies