How do I transfer last year's return into TurboTax Online?
(If you're looking to transfer last year's return to TurboTax CD/Download, follow these instructions instead.)
It's easy to transfer last year's return and depending on your situation, the transfer could be:
- Automatic—which will transfer all of your info without you having to do anything extra.
- Or from a PDF—which will transfer your personal info and your AGI to give you a head start.
- Or from a .tax file—which will transfer all of your info in a few short steps.
Select your situation below.
All you need to do is sign in with the same login you used last year, and we'll transfer your information over.
Can't remember last year's login? Try our account recovery tool.
You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)
- You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
- Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions
Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.
Here's how to transfer:
You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).
- Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
- After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.
Select the method you used to file last year and use the onscreen help links and instructions to transfer your PDF and to change your filing status (single, married filing jointly, etc.) if different.
Keep in mind:
- The PDF needs to be your 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
- The program accepts PDFs from a range of providers, such as:
- H&R Block, Credit Karma, TaxAct, ezTaxReturn, TaxSlayer, Liberty Tax/Tax Brain
We support a wide number of other providers and keep expanding our capabilities.
In certain situations, the program might not accept a PDF, such as when it’s password-protected, a scan of a hard copy rather than an electronic PDF, and certain other cases. If this happens, don’t worry, we’ll guide you through typing in your info.