You don't "get an updated return out of TurboTax." The IRS is going to recalculate your tax return and send you the additional refund. It might take several months to get it. You don't have to do anything to get it, and there is nothing you can do to get it sooner. TurboTax is not involved. For more information see the following IRS announcements and FAQ.
Thanks! I do understand that Turbo Tax has nothing to do with getting the refund processed. My question is around a corrected 1040 return. I need something that shows my correct income and tax. I’ve checked Turbo Tax and there is nothing updated.
There was at least on report on the forum that even though TurboTax was updated, TurboTax put your return back the way it was when you filed it.
(I don't have TurboTax 2020 so I can't confirm this. maybe you can.).
If you promise to save a PDF of the return BEFORE you amend the return so you have the original AGI amount you will need to efile next year then simply use the amendment process to complete the income section again. If the program doesn't automatically update then delete the 1099-G you already entered then enter it again to get the change to populate. Then you must complete the REVIEW tab to see if there is anything else you need to address before getting a new PDF from the Print Center on the left side menu under TOOLS.
If you have already filled your taxes the first step is to wait and see if it is Accepted or Rejected.
- If it is Rejected you will be able to correct the rejection error and make the needed corrections and refile the return.
- If it is Accepted you will have to wait and file an amended tax return:
- If you're getting a refund wait until the refund comes in.
- If you owe money wait at least two weeks before filing the amended return. (This is so that the IRS has time to process the original return.)
To amend a return
Some quick ground rules:
- Be sure the original return was filed and accepted.
- DO NOT go back into the return or change anything before you start the amendment process.
- Gather everything you need before you start.
- Complete the entire amendment process before you log out.
- Starting with 2020 tax returns you can E-File a 1040-X amended tax return. All prior years must be printed and mailed.
You can correct a return that you've already filed and had accepted. Select the year that applies and use this guide to proceed.
Select your tax year for amending instructions: