Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get my turbo tax desktop file loaded to the online turbo tax.

I would like to switch to Turbo Tax Online and want to  import my Desktop file from 2022 to the online version   
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The 2022 online version is not available anymore. Online versions are only available through the 6 month extension period in October. After that date, you can't use online for that tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think you want to transfer 2022 from your desktop into the 2023 Online version?

You will need the data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023 either to the Online version or the Desktop program. Are you on Windows or Mac? Be sure to save your return (go up to File-Save or Save As) and know where it is and it's name. On Windows it should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. And you should copy it to a flash drive or backup incase your computer crashes.

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer. How to clear and start over
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version. You need to have the prior year .tax2022 file on your computer. Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and may not like the online version. It has less features and no Forms Mode. The Online versions don't have all the same forms so you might have to upgrade to a higher Online version. You can only do 1 return. Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2023 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done. In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something. You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies