Solved: How do I get income from Box 11 of a K-1 to show u...

cjc05

How do I get income from Box 11 of a K-1 to show up as passive income on Schedule E instead of as nonpassive income?

The amount reported in Box 11 of the K-1 is showing up as Nonpassive income in column (k) in Part II on Page 2 of Schedule E.  It should be showing up as Passive income in column (h) instead.

tagteam

@cjc05 wrote:

You are most likely going to have to do an override (which voids the TurboTax accuracy guarantee and inhibits e-filing your return) in order to get that treatment.

First, however, you will have to enter a description and amount in Forms Mode (see screenshot) on your K-1 and note that you will need to be using a desktop (installed) version of TurboTax to enter Forms Mode.

p.png

tagteam

@cjc05 wrote:

p.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

what type of description is given for this item?  it can't be done through line 11 unless it's a passive capital gain but then it would not flow to page 2 of schedule E  in any case

your choices are to combine it with line 1 or 2 amounts (you can add supporting detail) or create a second K-1 put on line 1 with supporting detail.  this should allow you to e-file.  could you get a notice from the IRS. It's possible but then yo write back with an explanation that line 11 was included on ......... 

Dece80

1065 Box 11 A shows Other Portfolio Income with no notes. The Private Limited Partnership tells me it is "unapplied transaction fees."There are no details on Desktop Premier to get this into passive income. Should I just put it in Miscellaneous?  If I choose the 'put it in E' option it lands in the non-passive box, which makes no difference to my taxes.  Which of the evils is better?  I do not want to override and have to file by mail.  The post office is busy enough.  Thanks!

Dece80

Thank you for asking this! This is not addressed anywhere in IRS instructions.  I have the same issue.