turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file taxes with Turbo tax if we owe money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can file as you normally do. You have several payment options. You can mail a check, pay by credit card or use IRS direct pay.

You won't see a credit/debit card payment option in TurboTax if you owe IRS taxes and are paper-filing, but you can easily work around this by following the instructions below.

1. In TurboTax, select the option I will mail a check when asked how you want to pay your owed taxes.
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to print a filing copy of your return.
  • Throw out (or better yet, recycle) the 1040-V voucher that prints out. You won't need it.
  1. Then, go to the IRS webpage Pay Your Taxes by Debit or Credit Card, choose a payment processor, and pay your tax bill at their secure website.

Note: There is a convenience fee (charged by a third-party payment processor) for paying your taxes with plastic. If you plan to pay your taxes with your debit card, consider IRS Direct Pay, which is free.

What if I dont have a working printer.? Do i need to go to a stapl,es or office depot to get a print out of my turbo taxes.? Im mailing in a check and setting up a payment plan with IRS

@jagulliver TurboTax does not print anything for you or mail anything for you.  If you cannot e-file for some reason and need to print, then you have to problem solve your way though that.  You can access your online account from any computer that has internet access, so you may be able to use a computer and printer belonging to a relative or friend; or yes, you could save it to a flash drive and print at Staples, a UPS place, etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies