dfallon8

How do i enter union dues on my NY tax return. I listed them under an unreimbursable expense on my federal return but nothing seems to have changed on my state return?

ChristieB

The union dues will automatically be transferred over to your IT-196, which is your resident, nonresident, and part-year resident itemized deductions form onto line 21 (Unreimbursed Employee Expenses - job travel, union dues, etc).

Unfortunately, while they are technically 100% deductible this year, they are only such if you Itemize your returns on your New York state return. 

If your Standard Deduction is still higher than the sum of all of your Itemized Deductions, it will automatically apply your standard deduction on line 34 of your New York IT-201 return in order to give you the most benefit. This is why you may not see anything change when you enter the information. 

ChristieB

dfallon8

I understand all of that. The question is where do I enter that in turbo tax so that it will be picked up in my state return. And my state return is itemized.
ChristieB

My apologies, I think I misinterpreted your initial question. Union dues will be entered into the Federal portion of TurboTax, and then they will automatically transfer over to your New York return. 

To get to this screen, follow the instructions below: 
When logged into Turbo Tax: 

1.) Click Federal
2.) Deductions & Credits
3.) Employment Expenses
4.) Job Expenses for W-2 Income
5.) Click Yes to having these types of expenses, and then answer the questions that follow
6.) When you arrive at the screen that says Any other expenses? Enter your Union Dues here.