Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i enter a W-2 from the IHSS when box 1 shows 0? I have read how to input the W-2 if there is an amount on box 1 but in this case there's only an amount on 3-6.

There is nothing on box 1, 2, nothing from 7-13 and 15-18. I have read that this type of income is exempted, but do you still have to file it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do i enter a W-2 from the IHSS when box 1 shows 0? I have read how to input the W-2 if there is an amount on box 1 but in this case there's only an amount on 3-6.

solved in comments

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

36 Replies

If box 1 is zero, you don't include that W2 on your tax return.

At all? Interesting.

Not at all, box 1 is taxable income, if box1 is zero, you dont need to enter it.

thank you!

Youre welcome!
Tax-prep

i have the same issue! what I have the Box 4 and Box 6 have tax withheld!!! if i didn't file this w-2 am i going to lose the tax withheld benefits?

Its got federal tax withholding in Box 2?  Boxes 4 and 6 are not refundable, only $$ in Box 2 is potentially refundable.

Question is if Box 1 is blank, you can't claim income tax credit for wages earned as shown in Box 3 and 5?

Problem is IHSS will not or does not want to correct W2 Box 1. They say shouldn't matter since you don't pay tax but can't claim the tax credit we are entitled to, unless we use Box 3 or 5 of wages earned?

If box 1 is blank, the W2 doesn't get entered...you don't get any EIC on income that isn't taxable.
mjelinch

I also asked IHSS to issue an amended W-2 because I am losing out on the rather large EIC I usually receive. Has anyone had any luck with getting them to put the IHSS earnings back in box 1?

No IHSS will not budge, they don't care that its hurting home care workers who can't claim EIC any longer. Last year box 1 taxable income was dropped dramatically, this year=nothing! If you get them to change their mind, let us know.

you have non taxable income , instead of free money being handed to you.....you get a tax break and the government doesn't pay out any extras.
mjelinch

I'm sorry, "free money being handed to you"? IHSS is WORK. We work for every hour of IHSS we are paid for. We just happen to be caring for a family member. Many of us are low income because we are full-time caregivers and cannot work outside the home, which is why we qualify for EIC. It's not "free money being handed to us." Please inform yourself before you make insensitive comments.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies