Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

How do I download my cryptocurrency tax file from Zenledger?

Coinbase no longer supports a direct import of a CSV file into TurboTax from their site which has resulted in an error message for some users. Instead, Coinbase is relying on a 3rd party, CoinTracker, as an option to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file. 
For more information, including a link to CoinTracker, please see this TurboTax Help Article: How do I get a CSV File from Coinbase? 

cenyaw

How do I download my cryptocurrency tax file from Zenledger

UTILIZING PREMIER DESKTOP Turbotax 2020 ? ? ?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There is no download available for desktop.  However, 

In TurboTax Desktop, to enter cryptocurrency that must be reported as an investment:

Option 1: Step By Step

• From the Personal Tab>Personal Income
  • Select I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll to Investment income and click Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other click Start
  • Click Add an account
  • Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement from these sales? Click No
  • Choose the type of investment you sold Select Everything Else and click Continue
  • Enter the details of your transactions

Option 2: From Forms Mode

• Click on the Forms toggle in the upper corner>
  • Click Open Forms>in the search box, type cryptocurrency>
  • Click on Cryptocurrency Worksheet> click Open Form
  • Enter the details of your transactions

For a large number of transactions, enter it in summary form on Form 8949, one total for short-term and one total for long-term. Mail in the pages along with Form 8453 with the Form 8949 box checked.

For short-term transactions, Box C checked on Form 8949 for not being reported to you on Form 1099-B

For long-term transactions, Box F will be checked on Form 8949 for not being reported to you on Form 1099-B

Form 8453 can be found in Open Forms and printed to include with the hard copy details of your transactions.

Per@KathrynG3

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ZenLedger is a separate 3rd party software. Their help services can answer your question about downloading their reports on your cryptocurrency ownership and trades. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

@gdradke is correct. As mentioned earlier in the thread, for the extension of the upload, for TurboTax Online, use .CSV, and for TurboTax CD/Download, use .TXF. 

Before uploading, it is best to re-sort the columns to match TurboTax.  From left to right, title your columns: 

• Service name (examples: Coinbase)
  • Asset name (examples: Bitcoin, Ethereum)
  • Date of purchase
  • Cost basis
  • Date of sale
  • Sale proceeds

For more information, see: Uploading Cryptocurrency in TurboTax Using Aggregator Services.

@cenyaw

iskayn

I am ready to import my .txf file from Zenledger for my Cryptocurrency transactions. I have the desktop (CD) version of Turbo Tax with an upgrade to Premier via online.  I don't see the "cryptocurrency" sections that Premier is supposed to have.  It was my understanding that Premier provided this, which is why I upgraded.  Where do  I find the cryptocurrency section that I thought I was paying for with the upgrade? and how do I import this .txf file for form 8949?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop, follow these steps to import a .txt file.  

• File / Import / From Accounting Software / Other Financial Software (TXF) file /  Continue / Choose a File to Import / Import now.
  • A 1099-B with all crypto transactions is now created.   This entry can now be edited to include the account details.  Each transaction can be edited as well.
  • View the transactions under Federal Taxes / Wages & Income / I'll choose what I work on.
  • Scroll down to Stock, mutual funds, bonds, other.  Click Start / Update to the right.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies