turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Brock

How do I delete Form 2210?

I am having this issue as well and am frustrated. I am currently on hold to speak with someone to see about fixing this and am told the wait time is greater than an hour. That is totally unacceptable. TurboTax, get it together!

This method worked!
Here's the solution that seems to have worked for me. I am using the online version. Go to the other tax situations section. Revisit the penalty section. Go through the questions. In the part where it pulls your info from last year (underpayment and AGI) zero out the numbers. This eliminated Form 2210 from my return. I just refiled so we'll see what happens.

frank.forgione 3 days ago
Thank you, frank!

This worked today for 2 of my friends that have the CD version. After multiple submissions/rejections by the IRS they followed these instructions and their return was accepted:

"I have CD version of Delux Turbotax (PC) and followed what "myactuary" did.  It deleted the form 2210 and my e-filed return was accepted.  His/her suggestion was :
Select form 2210 / Right click box II.A /  select override / left click the check box and it removed the x from the box and form 2210.  After you save it you should be able to successfully e-file.  After several hours, I got the right confirmation message.  I want to thank all the comments made by so many people before me.

eikorin 3 days ago
kfletch843
Returning Member

The IRS Form 2210 instructions require an Explanation Statement if Part II Box A or Box B is checked. TT only provides an Explanation Statement if Box B is checked. Adding an Explanation Statement for Box A would probably solve the problem. However I chose the override solution of resetting 2017 tax liability to $0 to eliminate the Form 2210 in my filed return. Technically however the IRS seems to require a Form 2210 even if your estimated tax payments exceed your tax liability. Doesn't make any sense at all so I chose to file without the Form 2210.
macnaz
Returning Member

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4621180">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4621180</a>   (Reported TurboTax "Update" or "Fix" information relating to circumstances relating to Form 2210, where "underpayment penalty" is not applicable; indicated, tentatively, for release on Friday, February 22, 2019; based on posters understanding.

In response to above question as to whether it would make sense to file without the Form 2210 attached:    There appear to be conflicting information between TurboTax and IRS regarding this issue, on several levels, as follows:

(1)  Per the Form 2210, per the Form 2210 For and Instructions, it appears, based on my understanding, to indicate that, under normal tax-year circumstances, if an "underpayment penalty" is not applicable, that Form 2210, ordinarily, is instructed to NOT be filed with the 1040 Return;

(2)  However, due to Tax Reform regulations introduced in 2017 and affecting 2018:  Form 2210 has some addition provisions, including an "85% Waiver/Exception"(and related "85% Exception Smart Worksheet" that is present on the TurboTax "Form 2210 Form" (however, disappears from the same form when printed); as well as including some additional Part II Check-Boxes;

(3)  One of these check-boxes (and the root cause and source of many of the posts on this TurboTax website) in Part II, is the problematical  "Box A"... That, when "checked", triggers the Form's provision "don't file Form 2210 unless one or more boxes in Part II (including "Box A") applies;

(4) STAGE 1: And the first resulting fundamental problems of "Part II, Box A", as it pertains to the present TurboTax program, is that this "Part II, Box A" is "pre-selected" by the TurboTax program and does not readily allow for the Box A to be "unchecked"--- and, thus, triggering the additional Form 2210  provision, indicating: "You...must file page 1 of Form 2210;

(5) Again, I'm cases (and in most previous tax years)  where you are NOT subject, or owe, a, "Underpayment Penalty" you would NOT need to file a Form 2210--- However the "frozen" Part II, Box A" being pre-selected (and not subject to deletion) by TurboTax's present program, is what is causing the first-part of the problem, in that it is now requiring it to be "filed" (when, normally it would not have to be files);

(6) STAGE 2:  (and a major part) of the problem that many TurboTax users are encountering, is that the Form 2210, itself is triggering a problem in being (or, more-accurately, in many cases, "not being able") to be e-filed---and, additionally, Turbo Tax indicating, in many cases, that the Tax Returns need to be "mailed";

(7)  In my own case, where an "Underpayment Penalty" was not applicable:  During the Turbo Tax "step-by-step" data entry dialogue, I encountered in the "Other Situations> Additional Tax Payments> UnderpaymentPenalties" step, a TurboTax statement, indicating: "You don't owe an underpayment penalty.  However, Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax , must be filed with your tax return";
(8) Based on my own analysis:  I decided that it would be "OK" to file the Form 2210 (even though it was not applicable to my particular tax situation whereby I was not subject to an "underpayment penalty") based on the theory that it was probably a better option for IRS to HAVE Form 2210 (and not need it), rather for for IRS to NOT HAVE Form 2210 (and need it for some reason); as well, as the instructions on the TurboTax data-entry website that clearly indicated  that "Form 2210..must be filed with your tax return"; and

(8)  STAGE 3: Relates to the fundamental challenge of getting a successful e-file of the Tax Return via TurboTax, which as many, including myself, TurboTax customers have reported on this website, may require as many as 3-5 unsuccessful attempts (before having their Returns "Accepted", and, some, not ever being able to get their Returns "Accepted")..  and, only to be left with a defeating, frustrating, "Reject" notification.

Everyone's tax situation is different (and requiring different forms); and, TurboTax, based on poster's understanding, offers different platforms (including "On-Line", "CD", Download, etc.); as well as different versions (including" Deluxe, Premier, Free, Business) and for different operating systems (PC and Mac OS)--- And, based on the comments on the TurboTax website---There appear to be different procedures and capabilities relating to the entry of tax data and features--- which affect the capabilities, in differing ways, in interacting with the "Form 2210" issues and capabilities (NOTE: And, which my experience, and above comments, with these Form 2210 issues may not be applicable to other TurboTax users); and, I was (after two "rejects") was finally successful in getting my Tax Returns (and Form 2210) e-filed on TurboTax, based on the following parameters and procedures relating to the Form 2210:

PRODUCT:  TurboTax Premier (for Mac OS)
FORMAT:    CD
(a)  I left the Form 2210 the way TurboTax prepared it, based on my 2017 and 2018 Tax data;
(b)  Part I, Line 9 was pre-filled and "checked""Yes" (and I didn't change it, as it couldn't be     "unchecked";  
(b)  Part II, Box 4 was pre-filled by TurboTax (and I didn't change it, as it couldn't be "unchecked");
(c)  Part II, Box B was "unchecked";
(d)  Part II, Box B-Line (at right-margin): The "Explain" box was "clicked", and the "85% Waiver" statement was completed, indicating: "If applicable, 85% Exception Waiver, requested due to Tax Reform and/or Other Reasons"; and
e)  Box "C"(at top of 2210 Form, above Part I): "Checked";  ("Check to have the IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if penalty due");

(NOTES:  
(1) My first two attempts to to e-file the Returns  were "rejected-"-- And, it was only AFTER that I "checked" this ""Box C", that my return was successfully filed and "Accepted";

(2)  Upon "printing" the Tax Return:  The "first" page of Form 2210 printed (although the format of the "printed" page varied from TurboTax's data-entry version, including: the "85% Exception Smart Worksheet" (and data) were not present on the printed Form 2210.  And, in addition, the "Waiver Statement" printed as the very-last page of the Return;

(3) I did not alter 2017 (or 2018, or any other) tax figures in an attempt to change, force, suppress, interfere or influence any aspects (and related/resulting accuracy and integrity) of the data generated by, and results of, the TurboTax system and/or program.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not an accountant, expert, employee or representative on/of TurboTax or the IRS:  And the above comments are based, strictly, on my (poster's) own opinions, understanding and experience with these particular TurboTax issue(s); and, are not intended to be applicable to the unique circumstances of any other TurboTax user; and are for "feedback purposes, only; and, the information, comments and results of, or experienced by, poster are NOT guaranteed and/or intended to be relied on, or be specific (or general( recommendations of IRS Tax or TurboTax advice.

will11

I was very frustrated as an Online user that form 2210 still hasn't been fixed. Thus I called customer support and requested a download so I could use forms mode and override Box A of Part II. Originally I got the Mac version, but that does not have the override functionality. You must use the PC version.

After unchecking box A, form 2210 was removed. According to <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4621180-form-2210-required-but-no-penalty-is-applied">https://ttlc...>, the issue is that TT is requiring form 2210 when it shouldn't (I was getting a refund). This leads me to believe the removal of form 2210 is correct. My federal return was accepted within 15 minutes.

The customer support representative will tell you this "won't work", however it appears to. The method of zeroing out the 2017 tax liability changed my return amount, whereas this did not.

The last I checked, they pushed back the release of the fix for Online to Mar 1st.

zero out your previous year returns and then the form 2210 is deleted. I deleted the form and it got accepted.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to the users for the entering 0 tip!  I like alot of you will be looking for a new way to file next year.

It is possible to get a refund and still have underpaid. This is why: the IRS goes by quarters so if you pay the same exact amount of taxes every month but your income
 fluctuates every month, it's possible in some months to not pay enough taxes and other months to pay too many taxes. Result: underpayment penalty (based on the underpaid quarters).
shabbir

Thx for all the suggestions; esp Macnaz for putting a lot of efforts. When I opened TT (Winows PC Prem) there was an update waiting for me.

After updating I was able to check  Box "C"(at top of 2210 Form, above Part I): "Checked";  ("Check to have the IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if penalty due").
Today my return got accepted. I didn't have to play any games with Form 2210.

I verified using "Step by step" that no penalty is due.
alj
Level 2

For online version, issue of waiver box (box A) marked on Form 2210 even though form 2210 does not need to be filed with my return has finally been fixed and form 2210 is now gone.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Windows desktop TurboTax Business & Home edition.  Here is how I deleted Form 2210 from my return.  First, be sure you do NOT need to file the form.  If you manually delete the form (switch to Form mode, find Form 2210 and then click on the "Delete Form" option) but it keeps re-appearing, here is how I forced its deletion.

Switch to the Step-by-Step approach (not the Forms view).  Go to Personal -> Other Tax Situations -> Underpayment Penalties (in the Additional Tax Payments section).  Say Yes to review the info.  Manually set your 2017 tax liability to $0.  Then go and delete form 2210.  I saved it and then did a print preview to ensure 2210 was gone.  When I filed, the Federal Return was accepted this time.

Note - make sure you definitely do not need the 2210 before you delete it!

twander1

Seemed to work. Know more in 10 minutes. Either way, thanks.
g_rollins

This appears to have worked for me as well - my Federal return was accepted.
rcarr

hoping it works for me
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies