ajsmam

How do I correct IND-516 and remove personal exemption from my return?

My mother claimed me on her return.  How do I remove the personal exemption to file my income tax return?

LindaA

To indicate that your mom can and will claim you as a dependent:

• Open (Continue) your tax return in TurboTax Online.
  • Click the Personal Info tab (top left) to display your Personal Info Summary, then click Edit. (Click the first screenshot below to enlarge it for reference.) 
  • Scroll down in the Your personal info page and locate A few other things we need to know. Select Yes under Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return, then select Yes under And this person will claim me on their 2016 tax return. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.) When finished, click Continue at the bottom of this page. 
  • Continue following the onscreen instructions and TurboTax will return you to the Personal Info Summary page, where you can verify that this change was made. (Click the third screenshot below for reference.)