Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change my status to head of house hold?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyW

When you fill out the Personal Info section of TurboTax, TurboTax will determine whether or not your situation qualifies for Head of Household. You can double-check your entries in this section to make sure that all of the information has been entered correctly. 
To qualify as Head of Household, you must meet the following requirements: 
  • Pay for more than half of the household expenses
  • Be considered unmarried for the tax year, and
  • You must have a qualifying child or dependent.

If you meet the requirements below, you will be "considered unmarried" for HoH purposes:
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or resident the entire year.
  • You must file separate returns.
  • You must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home during the tax year.
  • Your spouse did not live in the home at any time during the last six months of the year (even one night will disqualify you).
  • Your home was the main home for more than half the year for your child who is claimed as a dependent.  The qualifying person can only be your child, stepchild, or foster child - no other relative can be used.

You can find out more information about the requirements for filing as Head of Household here
The filing status Head of Household is triggered after reviewing your dependents information. To review this information, follow the steps below:

• Sign into your TurboTax online account
  • Click Take me to my return
  • Click the Personal Info tab
  • Click Edit next to the name of your dependent
  • You will then be asked a series of questions, and then you would answer the question asking if you paid more than 50 percent to maintain the home

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyW

When you fill out the Personal Info section of TurboTax, TurboTax will determine whether or not your situation qualifies for Head of Household. You can double-check your entries in this section to make sure that all of the information has been entered correctly. 
To qualify as Head of Household, you must meet the following requirements: 
  • Pay for more than half of the household expenses
  • Be considered unmarried for the tax year, and
  • You must have a qualifying child or dependent.

If you meet the requirements below, you will be "considered unmarried" for HoH purposes:
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or resident the entire year.
  • You must file separate returns.
  • You must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home during the tax year.
  • Your spouse did not live in the home at any time during the last six months of the year (even one night will disqualify you).
  • Your home was the main home for more than half the year for your child who is claimed as a dependent.  The qualifying person can only be your child, stepchild, or foster child - no other relative can be used.

You can find out more information about the requirements for filing as Head of Household here
The filing status Head of Household is triggered after reviewing your dependents information. To review this information, follow the steps below:

• Sign into your TurboTax online account
  • Click Take me to my return
  • Click the Personal Info tab
  • Click Edit next to the name of your dependent
  • You will then be asked a series of questions, and then you would answer the question asking if you paid more than 50 percent to maintain the home
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies